Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 1000 and I am considering the devil shotgun exhaust. the kit does away with the exhaust valve. does anyone have an idea what my actual torque loss will be? i know the valve was designed to make the bike more rideable at lower rpms, which is mainly the riding i do. removing the valve will undoubtedly move the powerband up in the rpms, but im not sure by how much. if anyone has had experience with similar systems or just know what the effects will be, your input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I put on the Devil high mount single can...which takes out the valve. I noticed MORE low end power.

I think it's just garbage when people say it adds torque to have the valve. Why would they retard timing to reduce power, but then add a valve like this to add power? It makes more sense that they both are ways of reducing power at lower rpm's and in lower gears.

The need for backpressure is a bullshit myth.

When you take the valve out, you will have to clip the ecu wire #33. DO NOT PULL THE PIN OUT!!! Pulling it out breaks the internal locking mechanism that helps to hold all the pins in. You will find others that will disagree with me and tell you to pull the pin...but they havn't take the harness apart to see what they have broken inside it either...and I have. I had to replace my harness because I pulled a pin and tried to get it back in. Not only that, but pulling it will allow moisture into there.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I put on the Devil high mount single can...which takes out the valve. I noticed MORE low end power.

I think it's just garbage when people say it adds torque to have the valve. Why would they retard timing to reduce power, but then add a valve like this to add power? It makes more sense that they both are ways of reducing power at lower rpm's and in lower gears.

The need for backpressure is a bullshit myth.

When you take the valve out, you will have to clip the ecu wire #33. DO NOT PULL THE PIN OUT!!! Pulling it out breaks the internal locking mechanism that helps to hold all the pins in. You will find others that will disagree with me and tell you to pull the pin...but they havn't take the harness apart to see what they have broken inside it either...and I have. I had to replace my harness because I pulled a pin and tried to get it back in. Not only that, but pulling it will allow moisture into there.

you have to push the white button on the side of the harness, then you can get the pin out no problem. and it doesn't break anything.

suzuki retards the timing for emissions and to protect people from looping the bike.

the valve is put there for backpressure to make the bike smoother and yes it increses low end torque. go to bugmans webpage there are a few dyno charts to prove it.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
wolph69 is right, HOWEVER your ass dyno wont tell you theres any power or torque loss.....
mine didnt anyway on my 04

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
you have to push the white button on the side of the harness, then you can get the pin out no problem. and it doesn't break anything.
So you've taken the harness apart and seen that nothing's broken inside?

If you did, you'd see that they are not designed to have pins removed. That is not a white button there that's made for your ease of pin removal. It is there to hold the harness together during assembly which is likely done by a robot.

As for the backpressure increasing torque...there's too many other variables that can change dyno results and show small changes that MIGHT have been caused by this valve. I can't recall seeing any top fuel dragsters trying to increase torque by adding backpressure.

·
Registered
94 Posts
well from talking to some of the mechanics for the top fuelers... thier biggest limitation right now is tires and clutch set up so i am sure they are not worried bout the small gains that added backpressure adds to the torque curve....

in regards to the pining problem i think i may have to agree with u as even for connectors that are "spring" type pins they end up braking.. though i depinned mine i wanted to cut the wire....

get the devil!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.