Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Exhaust MUCH quieter than it was

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  nickkisiel35@gmail.com 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
New to this forum...i have a 2007 gsxr 600 with an M4 street slayer on it. put the pipe on about 500 miles ago and i have noticed this last week or so that my pipe is significantly quieter than it was. honestly, probably half as loud as it was. have gotten the FI light twice now and my SET valve does squeak once the engine kill switch is turned on and the bike does a run through....maybe my SET valve stopped working properly making the airflow more restricted and causing the exhaust to sound quieter? cant find much on this topic so any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
The ECM cycles the valve full stop during power-up and you should be able to watch that happen, both at the valve and the actuator pulley. Is the squeaking coming from the valve or the actuator? There's the odd post or two here about applying some antiseize to the valve pivots. Use a high temperature product and try to avoid an excess that could flow into the cat. Use dealer mode to find out what the FI code is about.

Any chance that you somehow dicked up the cables when you installed the M4?

#3 ·
code is c46 and its not the squeaking thats bothering me(or the occasional FI light). the squeaking is coming from the butterfly valve down by the exhaust though, not the actuator pully in the right tail fairing. on the 07 600 when instaling the pipe it is a cat delete slip on. what i cant figure out is why my exhaust sound is so much quieter the last week or so...the sound is almost cut in half. it almost feels like its clogged somewhere but its not...or that the SET valve at the end of the headers is not opening and closing properly. at this point now my stock exhaust sounded louder.

#5 ·
or that the SET valve at the end of the headers is not opening and closing properly. at this point now my stock exhaust sounded louder.
I would suspect that first and foremost, unless the innards of that M4 have come loose and are blocking the flow, there's not much else in that pipe that can do what you state
pull the cables off the SET valve and turn it

Hell, most people with a K6/7 sooner or later had the SET valve fail and had it disconnected anyway
My mechanic does nothing else when getting the complaint, since the only "solution" to free up the axle 'll last a few months before soot has built up to the point the valve will be hindered again

#4 ·
also no, i didnt mess anything up when instaling the pipe because the squeak was there before the pipe instal..but i would say the first 400 miles after instaling the pipe it was loud and progressively got louder durring the break-in and then the last 100 miles or so it is just quiet out of nowhere....probably quieter than my stock exhaust was

#6 ·
It might be the innards of the m4 pipe to be honest because i did notice when i first put the pipe on you could see the inside opening and closing a bit with revs....but that may also no longer be happening anymore due to the SET valve. i can do simple fixes on the bike but afraid ill snip the wrong wire or make a mistake if i remove the SET myself. any fool proof links on how to remove it would be appreciated i guess....thank you for the input

#9 ·
yeah, definitely wasnt just used to the sound. it was 100% quieter and nothing was wrong with the pipe. so i did some messing around with the SET valve cables down by the headers...loosened the nuts and adjusted them. what had happend is some how the SET valve got adjusted so after the valve went through its cycle it remained like 90% closed which restricted the air flow to much. little adjusting of the cables and now the pipe is back to being loud as hell like it was. put 100 miles on the bike and didnt have to remove the SET valve, but after hearing the difference the adjustment made and feeling the difference in throttle responce im 100% removing that valve as soon as i get a chance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.