Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my exhaust last week after removing my oil cooler. There was alot of goop and the gaskets were chewed up a bit. The exhaust was also moving freely... it was installed incorrectly i would assume. i could move the exhaust up and down by about 1.5 inches

Upon inspection of the flanges and the half circled metal ...gasket?... I noticed that the flanges were bent up a bit. some of the half circled pieces were pretty chewed up as well.
I tried to reinstall the header using new gaskets and reusing the old flanges and half circled pieces, but the flanges will not snug up to the head. im under the assumption that this is not right and i'm looking for confirmation. I don't see why they wouldn't sung up unless the flanges are more out of shape then i first thought.

I ordered new gaskets and the metal half circle pieces as well, but should i get the flanges too? I think they are $20.00 or so a piece....
maybe i could try a salvage yard, but i could end up in the same boat.

Also is it nessesary to use a gasket maker to seal up the area or should i leave it the way it is... In the manual it makes no mention of having to seal the area with anything other than the gasket, half circle, and the flange.

Thanks!

·
Farm OG
2,801 Posts
Something isn't right there, You shouldn't ever need "goop" to seal your exhaust. Are you positive that you have the correct exhaust for your bike? If so then I would guess that the flanges are bent.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
previous owner gooped the header... if i remember correctly he had the half circle pieces backwards....

once i installed them correctly the flages wouldn't get snug to the head... i know there may be a little gap, but my gap is larger than i think it should be.

new parts will be here mid week. we'll see if that fixes anything.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
well, it depends on what type of headers you have. the stock headers use a donut shaped gasket and then the metal half-moon shaped gaskets to snug the header pipe to the exhuast port and then the heavy-duty metal flanges. if this doesn't make sense, then go to an on-line fiche diagrams. there are some here at gixxer.com, just go to the "links" and then to the "online retailers." the suzuki manual also has a diagram. it will be helpful.

the yoshimura headers do not use the metal-half-moon shaped gaskets.

either way, there should NOT be any play.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"the stock headers use a donut shaped gasket and then the metal half-moon shaped gaskets to snug the header pipe to the exhuast port and then the heavy-duty metal flanges"

that is what i have.

when i installed the header correctly there was no play at all. Its just that the flanges seem to be out of shape so do the half moon pieces as well. when i try to install the header it gaps between the head and the flange. I know there maybe some gap from the half moons, but not as much as im getting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts