Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to change my pipe and found these copper corrugated gaskets in the head between it and the old pipe spigot. not only do these protrude into the port but the id isnt even remotely smooth, not exactly the ticket for flow. what im wondering is do they have to be there for another reason other than sealing. ive used ultra copper on my race car for years in place of gaskets with great success and if i removed them the spigots would make a very smooth transition from the port instead of the turbulent mess these copper/asbestos thing have to make. thanks

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
The copper stuff comes with some aftermarket systems... the OEM suzuki stuff is some sort of silver metal (aluminum?) and in my `89 1100 they didn't protrude into the exhaust flow at all. Of course, if you can get some ultra copper to make the seal and not leak, I don't see why you *have* to have the gaskets in there...

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
I would ditch the copper gaskets you have and get some oem gaskets. When they crush they don't protrude into the port, and if you have a new set you can reuse them almost indefinitly!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts