Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am putting my gixxer back to stock (taking out jet kit) is it ok to leave the v&H SS 4-1 full exhaust on or should i look to a stock system also i found a good deal (i think) on a brand new yoshimura 4-1 full system for $215 maybe i should go with that
its a Zyclone round racer system black header and aluminum canister

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would think if you are taking out the jet kit that you'd want the stock pipes on there or it won't run right. Maybe we can work out a trade. I have stock pipes in good condition and would like the Yosh 4-1.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The right muffler has some scratches on it. The guy who owned it before went down in a parking lot at low speed, the scratches aren't bad and I just put some hi-temp paint on the headers so they are in good shape. $100? What do you think?

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that sounds like a fair price i just want to make sure that i need the stock exhaust cause i thought the vance and hines supersport wasn't much different than stock size diameter other than the fact its 4:1
i am trying to get the best gas mileage and performance out of my gix cuz the jet kit will not work right in it i have messed around with this kit for 8 weeks and can't get it to run right so i am just gonna put it back to stock

p.s do you think it could use a valve adjustment its got 15K miles on it and its been ridden hard

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
valve adjustment intervals on the old oil cooled gsxr's are supposed to be around every 3000 miles.

if you haven't had the clearances at least checked, i STRONGLY advise you to do so.

if the valves are in bad shape, jetting problems would be the least of your worries.....

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
i'd have the valves adjusted first, then do the jetting afterwards. valves can definitely affect the bike's running....not only that, but if the clearances are too tight on the exhaust valves, they could burn the valve seats....

are you running the airbox or individual filters on the carbs?

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
stock airbox with stock filter most of my problems occur at low rpm's like the bike loads up real bad in town and does die on occasion, when hard on throttle from slow start it puffs some black smoke out i am trying to find someone to work on the valves for me but no shop around here will work on a bike that is over 10 years old
so now i am stuck i have a manual but it doesn't show how to adjust valve clearances just how to tear the head off and take apart the valves

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
what manual do you have? the factory service manual and the clymer's manual have instructions on how to adjust the valves.....on your bike, it's a snap. it uses screw type adjusters so all you'll need is a feeler gauge and a tappet wrench set....

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
do the valve adjust first, and see if that helps the problem......if it doesn't, your bike is running too rich or you have an ignition problem. or you might have a clogged air filter....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sounds like you should tackle this issue in stages.

1. Adjust valves.
2. Check air filter.
3. Pull carbs and check main jets. With the stock box, and airfilter, I would expect to see 130-132 mains in those carbs, if it were running right - see what you have in there.
4. Coils or black box...?

Mark

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
main jets are supposed to be 112.5 i have already put brand new ones in there
i have the clymer manual and i didn't see how to adjust the valves

i have had these carbs apart over 10 times and everyhing is set right and all stock except for the fuel/mixture screw the manuel doesn't tell how many turns out so i set it 2 turns out
i have been through this whole manual at least a dozen times and through the carbeurator several and everything is set properly with right size jets and all
the only thing i could thing that would effect the way it is curently running is
A. vance and hines exhaust
B. fuel/mixture screw not set right
C. valves out of adjustment
D. correctors still installed in sliders from jet kit i can't get those out so i bought new ones and they should be in this week

i just want this shit over with so i can enjoy my ride and not have to worry about it dying and running out of gas

my gas milage is avg. 70miles on a full tank
hhhhhheeeellllpppp !!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
When you saw the mains are supposed to be 112, you mean with the stock exhaust, don't you? I would have thought that the stock mains would be 112 with stock everything.

Mark

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
there's something wrong....you should get much more than 70 miles out of a full tank.

hell, i had stage 3's on my old 750's (main jet sizes in the 140's) and i got better mileage than that, and that was for city commuting!

the mixture screw is not going to make that huge of a difference....have you checked float heights? if the fuel level is too high, that could cause the bike to guzzle gas.

the clymer's manual i had for my 86-87 750 had the valve adjustment instructions in it.....you might have to dig around for it, though. it could be after the section that tells you how to reinstall the cams.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
how exactly do you check float height i know exactly what u mean but were do you take the actual measurement

also i have tried the full blown stage 3 kit 144 mains and k & n individual filters all the good stuff set perfect to spec and it wouldn't leave the garage without fouling plugs

i have tried every combination of mains vs. clip setting vs. airbox, no airbox you name it i tried it with all the parts available with the jet kit and stock parts i am just tired of it, i feel like i am doing something wrong even with my know how and ability of myself and friends we can't figure this thing out

if you can, tell me the best way this bike will run with what i have or even what i need and i will do it
let me know exactly what size mains and how everthing should be set up i will do what ever has to be done i.e. buy new exhaust, new carbs, new valves, whatever you think i need, just tell me how and in what order i should do this

thanks for any and all help you guys rock

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not to step in the way, but the valve cover gasket is reusable, just be careful when reseating the cover - that careful note goes even if you are using a new gasket - get someone to help you guide the cover back in, and lower it on, works much easier with 4 hands.

Mark

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
yeah, you can reuse the valve cover gasket.....get a set of tappet wrenches, too, i think motion pro makes them.....they make adjusting clearances and tightening the locknuts much easier.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts