Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to have a full service done on my 750 K7.

Could people please advise and if possible back up anything they recommend?

It is a uk spec road going only bike with 27k on the clock. The valve clearances will be done too even though I have had advice they will not need doing even if they have never been done before.

The following items are potentially being replaced so your recommendations and advice is sought.

Air filter
Oil and oil filter
Spark plugs
Coolant
Brake fluid

Any other items you may wish to recommend to get done or use.

Thanks a lot.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
If you want technical data you may need to go to manufacturers websites and compare for yourself. All those things are pretty straightforward and really come down to personal preference. Oem is always ok.

Air filter is debateable- if you want more air you get more dust too. Oem filters are great for letting in the correct amount of air and keeping out dust. My personal experience has been using oem with no issues but gets expensive after a while. i have used k and n filters for a long time with no issues cleaning and oiling the same filter twice a year for 10 years even. I have my first bmc filter in my 08 gsxr600 and to my surprise when i opened the airbox there was dust inside, this is a track only bike too! This just happened last week. I have never seen dust inside any of my bike’s airboxes. Just my personal experience and i may be attacked now.

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,753 Posts
The owner's manual for every vehicle sold anywhere in the world lists recommended maintenance / intervals. Are you hoping for advice that contradicts what Suzuki recommends? :scratch

I change my oil every four years or 35-40k kms. The darker it is, the more concentrated / effective it is so that's a no-brainer right there. Don't be a chump and change oil prematurely. It's just a scam.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear, I am looking for people to say things like "Use a Pipercross air filter, I use one and I have an extra 50bhp with it..." (joking there) that kind of recommendation.

Thanks for the oem advice, tbh I was expecting that. So if you have had anecdotal success with a particular product etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you just get this bike? First time doing anything to it?
Just had it a week or two nearly. Not got a fsh, so been working out what to have done to it
or not. Going with largely a grand tour at the moment, but with discretion, so if the airfilter
looks clean and decent for example then no real need to replace it, but won't know until the work is done.

The valve clearances are being checked though for definite. In truth it seems like it is running pretty well
to me at the moment. Needs new coolant too.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,922 Posts
I personally use the OEM air filter and OEM oil filter, because they've worked fine for me. And K&N's filters are trash.
Oil, I use Rotella and have used it for tens of thousands of miles in my bikes. Oil debates are absurd, so go with whatever you want to spend your money on.
Spark plugs: use the OEM NGK model. There is no reason to change heat ranges on a stock/near-stock bike, and NGK is a great company.
Use whatever decent coolant goes with your bike.
I just use the recommended DOT 4 fluid.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the replies. OEM it is, as I say this is a street only
bike so I think there is wisdom in the above.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I change my oil every four years or 35-40k kms. The darker it is, the more concentrated / effective it is so that's a no-brainer right there. Don't be a chump and change oil prematurely. It's just a scam.
Concentrated with all the rubbish collected over 35-40k kms?
Do You keep the oil filter on until rotten through?

I am a bit surprised with your opinion to be honest, maybe I am a chump... :banana

·
3,922 Posts
The owner's manual for every vehicle sold anywhere in the world lists recommended maintenance / intervals. Are you hoping for advice that contradicts what Suzuki recommends? :scratch

I don't change my oil, I just run my vehicles extra hard until they start burning oil, then I just regularly top the oil off.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't change my oil, I just run my vehicles extra hard until they start burning oil, then I just regularly top the oil off.
You must be joking... :surprise:

Do you change underwear guys or just wear it until dark as it works better then as well... ?? :facepalm

·
3,922 Posts

Do you change underwear guys or just wear it until dark as it works better then as well... ?? :facepalm
I just pull the front open and spray some bleach in.

·
Administrator
15,171 Posts
Concentrated with all the rubbish collected over 35-40k kms?
Do You keep the oil filter on until rotten through?

I am a bit surprised with your opinion to be honest, maybe I am a chump... :banana

Sarcasm detector need servicing....

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,753 Posts

That's how I run my cars but I don't take any chances with the level though. Forget between the lines, I keep pouring until it's level with the fill hole. Better safe than sorry, I always say. Half & half motor / canola oil smells nice too when it burns.

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,529 Posts
That's how I run my cars but I don't take any chances with the level though. Forget between the lines, I keep pouring until it's level with the fill hole. Better safe than sorry, I always say. Half & half motor / canola oil smells nice too when it burns.
Fun fact: Canola is a species of rape.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts