Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to be 21 and I was given a 2002 GSX-R1000 with 7 miles on it as a gift. I've never rode a street bike before besides the little putting around I did on it in the parking lot here when it was a little warm outside (Winter Season). I was just getting the feel for it just keeping it in idle and turning left and right. I have a few friends 10 years older than I am that have been riding for some time and they are suppose to be taking me out soon once the weather gets warmer and give me some one on one. Since I have received the bike I have been reading and reading allot! Like every other day for 4 hours because I have no idea what to expect and some of the things I read beside all the safety guides and riding tips deals with how I shouldn't have this type of bike and that I'm going to DIE. Not only am I scared like others that haven't ridden a bike but now horrified because of how everyone thinks I need to go back to the Honda 50 I had when I was 12. I just want to learn how to ride on the streets and not kill myself. I have been whimpering to one of my friends that I don't think I'm ready for this because all I have read is about how I'm going to die and he says I will be okay as long as I ride it right. I want to hear it from someone here that has started out on a performance street bike and tell me a good experience. I'm a good driver and i know that realy doesn't matter because I wasn't scared to drive my first car like I am my first bike. I'm thinking that once I learn how to ride it I'm not going to enjoy it because I will think its a ticking time bomb. I need to get some inspiration or I will never learn how to ride my bike.

[ 01-30-2003, 04:21 AM: Message edited by: BeH0LDeR ]

·
Registered
463 Posts
In your situation the best thing you can do is sell the bike. You're not doing yourself any favors keeping it. In inexperienced hands this bike is nearly as dangerous as nitroglycerine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My advice is to sell the 1000 and buy a smaller bike, go for the GSXR600 if you really want a gixxer, or go for something a little more tame and upright like one of the many good sports tourers out there alot of guys here advise to go with the SV650 I can't vouch for this as I have never ridden one.

Here's my story,
Have been riding for a couple of years now, first bike was a Kwaka ZZR250 had this for about 2 years. Out grew bke could beat friend on ZX9r up local mountain on it.

Decided to upgrade to big sports bike went for Gixxer 1000 as thought would grow out of 600 in year or so and wanted to keep new bike for at least 5 years. Had been riding new bike for three months, riding to work on a Monday morning came to corner riden a thousand times before, lost backend due to to much throttle on cold tires. When tried to recover ended up going over the handle bars in a tank slapper style. When finished sommersoulting and sliding and one operation latter I now have two screws and a stapple in my knee and should be right to play sport again in another month or two, that was May/June last year.

GSXR1000 not a leraners bike.

If my story was not enough my local bike shop had two of it's guys drop 1000's in one week one with compound fracture of the foot.

So while you may not DIE you will fuck yourself up and being inexperianced will just multiply it by a thousand times.

Know of one guy tried what you are thinking of on a tlr1000 he was in a comma for two weeks and has a metal brace around his hips.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
O.K.,let me get this straight...Somebody just gives you a 9 second bike capable of 180+mph and you have no experience riding?
This has to be a joke right?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay.. note to self. Sell bike or keep it as decoration in living room.

Can someone tell me their experiances when first riding a bike though. What they thought it would be like and how it realy came to be.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Umm,that was 27yrs ago.I can remember that it was the most exciting feeling that I ever had,and after all these years of riding I don't now how I would manage without it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and yes this was a gift from a friend that has three GSX-R1000 and couldn't understand getting me anything else. I didn't know that it was that big of a deal till after he showed up with it and I started reading up on motercycle riding. I had always wanted to ride a non-sports bike like a harley when I was a teenager but my parents put this thing in my head through my teen years that motorcycles will kill me. Again, no this is not a joke. Bought and paid for sitting in my house with a 20 year old that is scared thinking about getting on it.

[ 01-30-2003, 05:53 AM: Message edited by: BeH0LDeR ]

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
I'll give you $500 for it,so you don't kill yourself.Thats worth it,no?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would still like to learn though thanks.

meaning I get a new bike with the money I sell it for.

[ 01-30-2003, 06:08 AM: Message edited by: BeH0LDeR ]

·
Registered
780 Posts
My current bike (2000 GSX-R 600) was my first street bike, and I can tell ya that even it's power scares me. I have a good amount of dirt bike experience, so I knew how to operate a bike, but there's a huge difference between a Yamaha TT-R250 and a gixxer 600 (obviously). I'm going to assume that your friend will try to talk you out of it if you ask him to give it back to him and have him get you a 600, but if I am wrong, that would be my suggestion. It is SO easy to lift the front end up, on the 1000. My buddy went from a Katana 600 to a GSX-R 1000, and he is simply in awe at how much power it has (he's been riding for 15 years). There was one instance in which he was going 65mph in 3rd gear, opened the throttle wide open to see what it would do, and he couldn't keep the front end down. If there's one specific thing I can suggest to you, it's to be VERY careful how much gas you give it as you exit a corner. It is VERY easy to lift the front end and head off into the ditch (or worse, an oncoming car). And on that note, I am heading to bed...12 hour shift has me very tired. Be safe!!!

[ 01-30-2003, 06:20 AM: Message edited by: Calaphor ]

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
count me in for 30+ years of dirt, and 22 years of street riding.

The GSXR1000 is one of the most scary things I have ever ridden.

My top scary bikes.....

GSXR7/11 with 140+ hp

KH750 3 cyl 2 stroke 750 - no brakes, no handling, and a light-switch powerband

FZR1000 Turbo - ~200hp

GSXR7/11 with NOS

original Fireblade (CBR900RR)

Stick a learner on any of those and they might just make it into second gear before their head exploded.

My neighbor bought a 1K as a first bike, he now limps and is missing a few fingers and toes.

Sell it, get something small and disposeable to learn on....

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
That is a gracious gift, but I wouldnt consider any who gives an unexperienced rider a Gix1k a friend. I just moved from a Duc. Monster 600 to a Gix600, and the thing is scarey fast. Makes the Duc seem like a scooter. I know you dont want to hear it,but sell the Gix1k and get an SV like most have suggested. Depending on learning curve and mileage, wait about a year and get a Gixxer 600. Lastley, even if you dont have a Gix, stay on a board like this, and just read and learn, like you have been. I have learned a lot from here myself. Let us know!!

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Wow, I wish I had friends like you have. That is a mighty expensive gift to recieve.

I moved "up" to a gixxer1000 after owning a SV650 for a while (didn't sell the sv, though) and it took me a while to realize that I stopped learning to ride when I got the gixxer. There's so much power that you end up spending more time respecting the throttle than learning to ride the bike.

As for expectations vs. first ride. My first ride was actually pretty easy. I took the MSF class before getting my ride and it really made hopping on back of a new bike pretty simple. That's not to say I was any good, but I at least didn't feel completely out of control.

The big problem when learning to ride is understanding the balance of the bike and all the things that a bike will do below you under different situations (on the front brakes, on the rear brake, on the gas, leaned over, in low traction, in the rain, whatever).

That's the problem with the gixxer1000...you end up concentrating so much on what it's doing on the gas, you're not concentrating as much on everything else you need to learn.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I'm also a recent addition to Gix.com. Bought my 600 last May. I would not advise getting anything more powerful than that. The 600 has ample juice and is far more forgiving than a 1K. And since you're bound to make mistakes while you learn...the decision is a no-brainer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks peeps... I'm fighting with myself still but I think I know what to do. I was working graveyard last night when I was posting and now I'm at home with four days off ahead and I'm about to put the bike in the back on the truck and head from tyler to lufkin where my friend is and see what he can do for me after he gets off work. I'm just too scared of it and I want to start learning safely.

nudiepix > The bit about concentrating so much on what the gas is doing and not concentrating as much on everything else I need to learn hit home with me.

[ 01-30-2003, 07:46 AM: Message edited by: BeH0LDeR ]

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
if you die can you leave me whats left of the 1000??
j/k please be safe that thing is a fuggin monster!!

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Your buddy must have had good intentions in giving that bike to you, and hopefully he'll understand when you bring it back. Hope everything works out and you get hooked up on a Sixxer.

...and since I definitely don't wan't to flame a guy for giving you a bike, I do suggest you stick to your guns if he tries to tell you that you can handle it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Brolo's right!
if the guy says "listen, you can handle this....just be safe and take it easy"
believe me, you don't need it. sell it and get a six. i believe "fraggle" said it best: just making one mistake as a newbie can hurt you, but on a bike like that the mistakes are amplified 10x. Shit, i could've bought a 1K, but i KNEW that it had more power than i needed or could probably handle.

·
Registered
257 Posts
good that you're scared, i dont mean that in a bad way, but it just shows that you're listening...
so if i were you and really want to learn step by step...id sell the 1000 go for a ninja250 (and if you "really" want a bigger bike, get a ninja500, gs500, an SV650...or an older 600)

the rest of the money should go to MSF classes(if you havent taken it yet), and good gear (helmet, jacket, gloves)

you would probably have some money left over and save that for the next bike in the future.

of course you probably heard this a million times...and to be honest i see a lot of beginers buying bigger bikes just for its "power" and "looks"...i just hope you dont FALL into that catagory.

everyone here has told you what they think...but you will do what you want to do regardless...

I was 21(2 1/2 years ago) when i started and when i first got into bikes...i wanted the nicest, fastest bike. Its a good thing i came across these message boards and set my ass straight.

good luck

(oh yah..i still have my 250 and i ride it as much as my gixxer600...please dont be influenced by BIGGER FASTER NICER)

[ 01-30-2003, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: xride717 ]

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Get a SV650 or a Aprilla RS250, great starter bikes and look excellent, many aftermarket products avalible, but before you do get some gear at very least a leather jacket, helmet and gloves, I rode my SV for about 3 years before i went to a race replica, im a much much better rider because of it, good luck

1 - 20 of 86 Posts