Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Normal?

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
20k miles, metal flakes on my drain plug... Wtf?

Ok, this is about every oil change I do. Since I owned the bike at 3,400k miles last october up to now, at 20k. 2011 GSX-R750

Is this normal... How bad is it :crying::surprise:>:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
No, that isn't normal. Not sure whether it is critical or not though.

Have you crashed the bike?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This has been happening before my accident too, but yeah, last june 22nd I did lowside at a low speed from oil on the street, no major damage though and bike didn't come in contact with anything.
Other than that, two days ago I missed a shift going to second, then went to put it back into second with a moderate clunk.

My reusable stainless oil filter didn't have too much to add either after just cleaning it out for the first time, a bit of silver metal flakes here and there.

Going to clean more oil off and take another pic brb.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Could a lazy shift going back into second with a clunk cause this? Bike isn't making any odd noises or vibrations...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fantastic! lol

·
Registered
237 Posts
I guess a KTM owner would be thrilled to see so little shavings on the plug, but no, I've never seen something like that on my GSXR. Thinking about it, the transmission is the most likely place those are coming from, adjust your clutch and stop shifting like that.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Most likely from the gears on the trans

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not even with break in oil changes have I got shavings like that with my GSXR. Do you do Used Oil Analysis? The most dominant lab I have seen is Blackstone Labs well most dominant on the Tundra forums I frequent. Not sure on initial samples but I know that they are capable of telling you where the shavings are coming from.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hoping it is just the gears then. I have adjusted the clutch about 8k miles ago.. hmm.
Something is up with my second gear though, sometimes it shifts smooth, sometimes the shift lever will bounce/pulsate quickly as it goes in. While I've had a lazy shift here and there not very often, pulsation does happen maybe 1 in every 10 shifts to 2nd. If I'm shifting anywhere under say 4-5k RPM, it goes always smooth as butter to 2nd. It's only while in the upper RPM range. Hard to explain but if you've ever not pushed down hard enough when going into 1st from neutral at a stop, It's that same kind of feeling. It's quick and doesn't last long. I do have a Blackstone test kit sitting here, going to send in for analysis.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,422 Posts
That's bad news. Normal is just a flake or two. You're forming structures with filings. That's significant. My guess is the oil filter is probably full of them too. Take the filter to a race shop and ask them to cut it open (there's a tool like a huge pipe cutter that won't create filings). I'd say it's time to open it up and find out what the source is.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There wasn't much in the filter as I said before, a few flakes here and there, all silver in color but real thin, nothing thick or solid. A few tiny slivers. I have one of those reusable oil filters so you can completely inspect the full mesh filter.

When I wiped finger across the drain plug, it was mostly build up fine mush, and there wasnt much to the pieces that look big in the pics.

But a mis-shift could indeed cause this?

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I'd try loosing the "reusable stainless oil filter" and stick a standard one on. I ain't no expert but something doesn't seem right to me.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd try loosing the "reusable stainless oil filter" and stick a standard one on. I ain't no expert but something doesn't seem right to me.
That's only been on for one of the changes, so it's not that. And it's a decent one, I researched before I purchased.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts