1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
A couple of the guys here have got it from fuelmoto.com

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you want the one in the photo, it will cost you BIG moolah.
It's a Suzuki accessory. I was told by Yoshimura it is only available from the European Suzuki network

I managed to find a nice used one from Ebay of Italy. About 500 to my door.

The Accessory catalog shows the new version presently sold in Germany with a catalytic converter installed. My '05 version lacked that item.
Nice slip-on. It's all Titanium, retains the SET, removable baffle and has the Suzuki emblem.

At full price, forget it . Buy the the shorty sold by the mentioned dealer.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't quite get a consistent answer on what the set valve does, some say noise restrictions and some say bottom end torque. If torque and power pick up on an exhaust that removes the SET valve, I would like to take it off but if it affects my bottom end, I don't want to remove it. I had the Honda 929 and when I put a full system on it, removing their valve, it killed my bottom end, was not near as powerful on the street until it got up high in the revs. Most of my riding is street so I don't want to lose the power in the range I use most.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LT5
What did you think of the performance and noise level by keeping the valve?
Would you buy that one again or go with one of the Japanese shorty's.
I find one on Ebay but don't know if I've got the wrong expectations by keeping the valve.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
diesel1 said:
I can't quite get a consistent answer on what the set valve does, some say noise restrictions and some say bottom end torque. If torque and power pick up on an exhaust that removes the SET valve, I would like to take it off but if it affects my bottom end, I don't want to remove it. I had the Honda 929 and when I put a full system on it, removing their valve, it killed my bottom end, was not near as powerful on the street until it got up high in the revs. Most of my riding is street so I don't want to lose the power in the range I use most.
On a Gix 1k, you won't lose bottom end removing the SET valve. Several guys in the forum have dyno'd before and after, and gained across the board.

Besides, on a k5/6 unless you find an aftermarket pipe with a SET valve, you have to remove it. It's built into the stock can and comes off with the can.

I took mine off a week after buying my K6, and sure don't miss it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sub,
what kinda fuel do you have in your country?

Here where i am, its almost all 97 Octain points.

So i am trying to determine, if it's still healthy for the bike to be running the slip-on without a PCIII.

·
Banned
117 Posts
Wow 97 you are lucky! The best pump gas in my town is 92. At that rating it might be worth checking into the PCIII. I know the factroy sets the bike up to run its best on 91-92 so you are prob loosing a little power not taking advantage of ignition timing as you could. Running lean would be less of a problem for you as the fuel is less prone to detonation. I would ask Jamie at http://www.fuelmotousa.com to see what he thinks. Or im sure some of the other advanced memebers could answer that correctly.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sub,
I too am on the edge of ordering my slip-on.

Now trying to decide if i should go CF or Ti.

The oem can is Ti, so..... getting a slip-on that's not Ti feels like i'm going backwards.

The tones are different between CF & Ti sleeves aren't they?

Sub, does the Japan Slip-on retain the SET valve?

·
Banned
117 Posts
I went with the Carbon Fiber. It just depends on what you like the looks of better. I believe the CF has more of a resonince sound, which I like better. A friend has a CF on his 636 and another has the Chrome on his 636. The CF is much louder and racey sounding. I dont know if this is always true but its what I have noticed first hand in this example.

The Jap Slip-on does not retain the SET valve. From what I hear you wont loose any power on the lower end and you obiously gain on the mid to upper.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.