Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On ramps are a great place to do those warp speed accel jumps.

Well I was doin one of those and at 8500rpms after shifting into second after a 10500 first it sounded like someone threw a bucket of bolts into my tranny.

So here is the deal. All gears work but second. Well second sort of does. When you shift into second it feels like the gear has some teeth wore off and it is only catching on half the gear. All other gears work but someting (metal chunk) goes for a ride through the tranny from time to time.

I am not gonna ride it till I get it apart. I am just glad I made it off the freeway.

So anyone wanna guess on what failed. I thought these things were bullet proof in the tranny area. I mean the bike has 4200 miles on it.

Also what is the best way to tear into the tranny???? any advice??

36mm slings and a full yosh cant make that much power. Might be time for that 1200 bandit engine I always wanted.......hmmmmmmmm nope not enough cash in the "absolutely stupid fast" fund yet.....

Thanks

GregW

86 gsxr, 750, 92 susp and tires,36mm carbs,full yosh,.

·
Registered
978 Posts
sounds like you fucked second gear up

as for bullit proof
no stock gears are bullit proof
to get them out you need to split the cases apart

and that sucks!!!!!so good luck

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Hmmm...while it is more common for 1100's to eat shifter forks and second gear...if ANY tranny is mistreated (or improperly shifted at the wrong moment) it will develop a problem in the future.

I had a Kawi gpz550 that would "let go" of a gear under high load/high rpm...take your pick, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th...it would rev out and have no propulsion...maybe I should tell the guy that has it now...nah...he'll figure it out.

Your best bet is to pull the motor, take the bottom case off and look at the pawls (?) between the gears...could be anything really. Check into getting them redone by Falicon or APE once you get it apart.

·
Registered
553 Posts
When you shift into second it feels like the gear has some teeth wore off and it is only catching on half the gear. All other gears work but someting (metal chunk) goes for a ride through the tranny from time to time.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This certainly seems to sound like you lost some of the gear, and it's maybe rattling around in the tranny. But, like the other guys said, you'll only know for sure wen you split the cases and took a real close look at the gear clusters. Certainly not a fun job....good luck.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Spliting the cases sucks. It sounds like you lost some teeth. Hopefully you just lost a gear and nothing else. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
the oilcool 750's have the weakest trannies of them all...we just got finished putting in a new tranny for a customer that did exactly what you just done...broke the gear on the input shaft to bits and pieces....let us know if we can help you out...

thanks,
dwayne

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"1300cc billet big block"

I want that. Where Do I start??? I think its gonna be bigger cc time. I just need to know what fits in the frame.

GregW

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dammmmmmmmmit. Well, everything you guys said was what I was thinkin while I was nursing it home at 10mph in 4th gear.

This sucks. Anybody know where I can find a 1200 bandit engine. They bolt right in right? Fixing this thing does not seem like that great of an idea because I was planning on upgrading to more CC's and not using the 750 as a platform.

Oh well time to look at options. Thanks,all you guyz rock.

GregW

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Bandit motors are getting a little more common thatn an unmolested 1127 or 1052 motor, these days, all it wuld take for a Bandit motor to have a lot more stomp would be some web cams ground to Yosh stage 1 or 2 specs, a set of flatslides, mild port etc...but everything cost money...
check out clickyclicky for motors and go fast parts...
-Karl

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
You have an 86 gsxr 750 frame correct?, any oil cooled gsxr, katana, bandit 1200 motor will fit into your frame.
-Karl

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Originally posted by GregW:
"1300cc billet big block"

I want that. Where Do I start??? I think its gonna be bigger cc time. I just need to know what fits in the frame.

GregW
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">my 1300cc billet big block is a watercooled gixxer...we custom fabricate our own cnc billet offset blocks which allow us to stuff up to 86mm pistons into the cylinders...but for your case, 1300cc'c is not hard to achieve at all...the best package/combo for you would be a 1340...you can still ride it around without drastic engine problems....if you are serious about building a big motor give us a call at the shop or shoot me an email with your number and we will contact first of next week...

thanks,
dwayne

1 - 14 of 14 Posts