Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. So for the past two months I would get a random FI light come on and off. Today I was finally able to catch it and put it in dealer mode with a C46 error code. I looked it up and people are just saying to remove the set valve. My question is, what is the issue with the set valve to begin with? No one really explains that, all they say is to remove the set valve by either manually turning it to open and disconnecting some wires under the seat or they’ll remove the entire thing.

I’m just wondering what’s going on with the set valve? Is the thing failing? Is it getting stuck and not allowing it to open? Do I need the set valve? I don’t know much about mechanics so I have no idea what the purpose of the set valve even is. Will it affect my bike in a negative way by having it open all the time? Sorry I know I have a lot of questions, I’m just trying to understand more what the issue actually is before I remove or unplug something that I don’t know what it is. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
General conclusion of the set valve, it is used to quiet the bike down and possible add some low rpm torque. Mostly it is useless and you wont find any race exhausts with it on. Plus if you get rid of it you bike will gain 2 lbs of lightness :grin2:

If you google how to disable set valve you will find a DIY.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
General conclusion of the set valve, it is used to quiet the bike down and possible add some low rpm torque. Mostly it is useless and you wont find any race exhausts with it on. Plus if you get rid of it you bike will gain 2 lbs of lightness :grin2:

If you google how to disable set valve you will find a DIY.

So I opened the valve and removed the wires. I haven’t really noticed any difference in torque nor increased volume my exhaust. No FI light so hopefully everything is all good.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,653 Posts
If "removed the wires" means that you removed one or more leads to the ECM, the resultant holes need to be plugged or condensation can build up inside the connector and corrode the remaining pins.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If "removed the wires" means that you removed one or more leads to the ECM, the resultant holes need to be plugged or condensation can build up inside the connector and corrode the remaining pins.

Thanks for the heads up! I just saw a video on YouTube where that’s what he did. I will most definitely do this. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts