Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Who Knows...Ask Who
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a super clean, 98 GSXR750. It only has 4100 miles on it. I was wondering What type of engine life I can expect. Right now it is stock, Which is ok for now, as this is my 1st street bike that I have owned, so I don't exactly hammer it. I have ridden dirt bikes for several years, & have ridden a few different street bikes, But this is the first street bike I have ever owned myself. I absolutly love it. Any suggestions, & help would be much appriciated.
When does come time to rebuild or replace my engine, will newer 750 GXSR engines swap in???

Thanks again,
The Newbie

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
Welp..there's guys here that have over 30k on thier motors..I had 22k on my 97 600..before it got totalled..I'd say ya have alot of good miles ahead of you on that Gix..don't worry about it..if it hasn't got it already, replace the Cam Chain Tensioner with a manual one, from APE..they are in Burbank..bout $65.00 with a gasket and shipping..
Oh..and Welcome to the ADDICTION..

[ 06-17-2002, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Hammer 4 ]

·
Registered
781 Posts
I bought my WX 10 months ago with 5000 miles on the clock. Now she has done more than 10,000 miles and still goes like a dream. Absolutely no problems so far. I can see that she has still a lot life left in her. Just make sure you service yours regularly. Some people change oil between services, i-e every 2000 miles. Not a bad Idea i would think.

Raz

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
i've stuck 5k on mine taking it to 13k and it was going as well as ever untill i totalled it into a bmw on sunday !!!
ps i'm stiff as a board, and bruised like hell.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Oh no, you didn't! How are you now Dan. That's terrible. Whose fault was it? Do you have comprehensive insurance? This bloody Golf VR6 tried to jump in my way this morning on M4 on my way to Taplow. Cage drivers are absolutely blind, they are. Hope you get well soon and start riding ASAP.

Raz

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
these newer generation motors (srad and the like) are vast improvements of their ancestors.....its not uncommon for these motors to last 40,000 to 50000 with original parts remaining mostly intact. Try that with an earlier generation oiler motor (iv had several, but jus not as well built)

best of luck

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
my head hurt all night sunday, ok now though. back kills, neck kills, shoulders, arms, kill. got bruised pelvis and am as stiff as a 13 year old watching pamela anderson for the first time.
didnt have contact lenses in so one lense popped out of my glasses i hit that hard, wear an arai.

third party only cover. car didnt see me really, too fast approaching, but did fuck all to help when he did, so best i can hope for is a 50:50 resolve.

after that i can go round his house and fill the **** in, along with the bull shit witnesses. ahhhhh revenge....

been to see bike, frame is ok but for steering lock gone one side, other than that, the number plate seems ok !!!

·
Banned
6,048 Posts
dan uk.............please goto the e.r.or at least your local clinic (if you dont have a primary care doc lined up) as i said yesterday, the secong day after the incident will be the very worst. But you need to get xrays and the like. Sounds as if your muscles are in atrophy right now....hop in a hot-tub if you can and get some anti-inflammitories/muscle relaxors. But the best thing you can do (to protect yourself here) is get checked out by a doctor....Now dont make me come down there young man!!!!!!!!!!

hope u r better.

scott

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
feel loads better now, just sore neck and shoulder muscules. wouldnt mind seeing that new female doctor though, well fit. back to work 2moro. i work at the city hospital in notts. here so the nurse is gonna give me a going over so she promises.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
You should get tons of miles out of the bike...

I did my rebuild of the top end at 35K miles. I only did this becuase I lacking the mid range power i wanted from the motor... i spend most of my time at like 10K - 13K RPM. I ride her hand and put her away wet everytime..
She never gets a break when I ride her... And she loves it..

As said above, GET THE APE CCT. It isnt worth it. And if you have a 99 750 you should get it now and stop ridding till you get it in the bike...

Anyhow.. You will love the bike... Kepp up on the oil change and it will live a long life.

John

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have about 40,000 miles on my 96 750 (70,000 on the 97 600 chassis its in) and it runs great, just dynoed at 124hp, no problems at all. I'd expect 80-100,000 with good maintenance. I got 100,000 on my 79 GS1000 with a bore kit at 70,000, it just sounded bad. Put 70,000 on a 81 GS 850 before it got low compression and blew another 850 up at 60,000 (oops!). I also put 55,000 on an 89 gix 750 with no problems until I totaled it out with a deer. These things last a long time, one of the main reasons I keep buying them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Dan glad to hear you are all right where in notts are you from.
Ive had a 600 from 3000 miles. It was three years old and the previous owner had only used it occasionally. It has 7000 on it now and ive had no problems with it so you should be fine

·
Who Knows...Ask Who
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Thanks everyone For the reply's. I absolutly love this bike, & look foward to having a long fun time with it. Thanks again to all.

The Newbie

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I'm another high milager here... I bought mine about a year ago with 10k on her, I am getting ready to pass 35k on it without a wimper. I beat the hell out of it at track days, and tons of twisties in between. Like the guys have said, take care of the bike and it will take care of you

-Spooner

·
Registered
645 Posts
Here's where I can actually attest to how long these things can last. Todays Gixxers from oh... since 96 on, should last you over 200k on the odometer. Believe it or not, there are people that have near that, and have ridden them almost every day since they owned it. The engines have so much technology involved in their design, that the revolving masses will outlast that which is in many cars. There are some parts that will wear out, but are replaceable at not too much out of pocket. Change the oil, chain, tensioner with the APE manual one, sprockets... etc and the bike will be great as long as you can ride it. Oh, and you might run into an exhaust can replacement if you bump up the power a lot. Why? Well, let's say at 160mph, my bike blew out the center pipe, packing and end cap on my old Carbon fiber can.
I now have a stock silencer unfortunately. Some day I will get another aftermarket one like a full system. I'm looking at a Micron serpent header w/carbon can, or plain anodized silver. But that's a whole other tangent from this discussion.

·
Who Knows...Ask Who
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can someone tell me alitle more about replacing the Cam Chain Tensioner with a manual one, from APE. What is it, & how do I contact APE???

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Felix,
It isnt hard to do... APE is in Burbank and they can ship it to you if you need them to. It will cost you about 65 bucks with shipping and is WELL worth it...

If you need help with it I am in Santa Clarita and I have a lot riders from this board that come to me for help with there bikes... I know your bike inside and out and fix just about any problem you run into with it.... Let me know if you need help...

John

PS, get a OEM shop manual for your bike... It is worth it... There is a guy online (I have his e-mail if you need it) that can get you the OEM book for 30 bucks shipped to you.. i have one for mine and just ordered the one for my g/fs hawk... He has great service and is well worth it.

John

1 - 20 of 23 Posts