Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I will likely have the chance to get a couple free GSXR engines for this years race car, and I am wondering a couple things. Right now we're running a '99 600. I'd like to get years in which I could get the maximum amount of swappable parts between the engines. I believe in 2001 the bore and stroke both changed. So basically are the 97-2000 engines pretty similar? Can someone point out if there are any problems/or differences between these engines please... I read a bit about the chain tensioner problem, was that fixed for 2000?

Thanks guys.

[ 06-07-2002, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Drax ]

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
The motors in 97 to 00 are all about the same. Swapping parts is pretty common for race teams. The 2001 motor is a complete different monster.

The 99 (I think) 600s suffered from weak valve spring retainers. For normal street, it is not a problem, but at the track, under high rpm abuse, they tend to self destruct.

I think I read that on the Army of Darkness' web page www.armyofdarkness.com I think its in their 2000 articles somewhere.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
yes 97-2000 are almost the same... VERY small changes... nothing to worry about... If you are racing you should be using a manual CCT NO MATER WHAT YEAR THE MOTOR IS!!!

John

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
john quick question is it possible to adjust cam chain tensioner while bike is running? just a question i had to ask i hear mines and sure would hate to pop off the carbs and stuff to check but if i have to i gotta

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by audi1031:
john quick question is it possible to adjust cam chain tensioner while bike is running? just a question i had to ask i hear mines and sure would hate to pop off the carbs and stuff to check but if i have to i gotta
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes you can, Will you know it is correctly adjusted??? No... You should open the valve cover and check it.. It would make your chain last longer... But it is your call..

Once you do it a few times you will get so used to it.. It takes me less then 30 min to adjust mine...

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts