Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here has done the following to their Srad?

Port & Polish, Milling the Head, and a Valve Job...
If yes, more or less what type of gains did you notice from a general stand point?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Well I have laped the valves, I have used a thinner head gasket and I have pollished the head... No porting...

The gain was nice but it was mainly from the head gasket... But if you mill to much you will loose clearance on the head to piston and blow the motor... Take it from someone that knows..

All and all... with the money you are going to spend to do all that you are better off doing a big bore.. You will get a longer life out of the motor..

John

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hey john.. when you refer to laping the valves.. are you meaning to say you put new grind angles on them, or making them a little shorter?

Also, have you never seen an issue with valve clearance with a thinner head gasket, and has it upped your compression by much?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by 96Gixx7Fitty:
Hey john.. when you refer to laping the valves.. are you meaning to say you put new grind angles on them, or making them a little shorter?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Lapping the valves is when you us lapping compound (it is like a liquid sandpaper) to clean the valve seats (it makes a better seal and that = less compression leak) It doesnt really change the valve enough to messure it.

Also, have you never seen an issue with valve clearance with a thinner head gasket, and has it upped your compression by much?

Thanks!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I took the center layer out of my stock head gasket and I didnt check the compression after.. I didnt check the clearance (like a dumb ass, but I was learning and trust what people on this site told me I could do).... 1500 miles later and a new head, block, rod, pistons, and having APE balance the crank, it cost me about 1500 bucks to do this motor...

I was told it was from lack of clearance and after putting the motor together with a stock gasket it checked the clearance and there was not enought to remove the center of it and still be ok... But the bike would out pull any other 749cc GSXR on the street that I had seen...

John

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey GSXR let me ask you something how much did you pay in parts for the big bore kit, you have??? Curious... If you can let me know quickly I would appreciate it, also who or where did you go directly to get it through? I might just be interested!!! Let me know, also how much did they charge you for the renakisiling & replating of the head??? Thanks...

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Well I didnt have the money to get the big bore... I had to buy a block first.. and that set me back... but if I remember correct the prices run about like this.

450.00 for the piston kit (J&E pistons, rings, pins)

450ish for the bore and replate of the block

I was getting my prices from APE racing in burbank CA...

You do not need to plate the head..

John

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks... I was just wondering... The thing with doing all that, is that my motor believe it or not only has about 8800 miles on it, So it is still pretty fresh, so I will be doing what I posted above, my mechanic will be checking the clearance of course to make sure,
and other than that will see what numbers come out of this after the remap and hopefully she will be up and running fine... I will post my numbers after she is finished and remapped... What are you numbers like right now, and if you remember your numbers before all the work you did what were they, I mean of course with removing the Middle Gasket, leaving you at .46, prior to you blowing the engine...
Thanks, once again for the feedback!!

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
I never had her on the dyno with the thin gasket on it.. Right now the way the bike is it made a 120HP at the tire on a hot humid night..
On a dyno that is knowen to read low. I need to get it on the DynoJet dyno... I just missed the one the guy was doing this month cause he was so busy..

Anyhow... If you are going to pull the head off, you might as well put new rings in her.. It will only cost like 120 for 4 ring sets and like 20 bucks for the base gasket.... Just cross-hatch the block again and make the motor fresh...

I had a friend with 8K miles on the motor and it was LOW on compression... It really comes down to how the motor is broken in... Breakin soft makes a soft motor.

Anyhow... One tip... TAKE THE MOTOR OUT OF THE BIKE!!!! lol It make for so much less work in the long run... And your back will thank you for it when you work on taking the head off and putting it back on, not being bent over the bike for hours... lol And you get a lot more room to get to the two bolts on the right hand side of the head next to the frame rail... They SUCK!!! lol

John

·
Registered
645 Posts
Ok John.. I sent you an email when I should have been reading your last posts here. But I have to know.. was it bad taking the center layer out of your head gasket? Did it indeed make the clearancing inadequate? hehe I guess that's one thing I'm asking.. or two things.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by 96Gixx7Fitty:
Ok John.. I sent you an email when I should have been reading your last posts here. But I have to know.. was it bad taking the center layer out of your head gasket? Did it indeed make the clearancing inadequate? hehe I guess that's one thing I'm asking.. or two things.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes it is bad... if you want a thinner head gasket I would talk to Yosh. I know they make them for my bike but not sure about yours.

DO NOT REMOVE LAYERS OF YOUR HEAD GASKET!!!! I found out the hard way.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts