Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 gsxr 1000, 1070 big bore. When first starting the bike, there is no problem. After riding for approx. 15 minutes and then stopping the bike, restarting is very sluggish, sometimes not turning-over at all. The battery seems drained but the battery is a new yusa. When the bike cools down for approx. 15 minutes, it cranks right up. LOST AND NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Really sounds like your engine is getting tight after it reaches operating temps. Who did the work on the engine for you? do you know if the tolerances are correct?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really sounds like your engine is getting tight after it reaches operating temps. Who did the work on the engine for you? do you know if the tolerances are correct?
I know nothing about tolerances! Could you please explain? Some people say its my starter going out or it does not have the power to accommodate the compression. LOST

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
How new is this engine? Did you just recently have this 1070 done? If so, how many miles do you have on it?

·
I Heart Man Sauce
6,488 Posts
I would give the builder a ring and see what he says, since he knows your setup better than anyone.

·
It burns down where I sit
5,766 Posts
It sounds like the starter is effected by the heat the running motor gives off.

In cars with full headers You get this from the heat as well.

The wires and contacts going from your battery to the starter would be a great place to start. Remove and wire brush them just to make 100% sure there isnt an corrosion in the mix then try replacing just the starter. I bet you wont have to go any further.

Shit it isnt a "brand new" starter anymore and its taxed more than stock turning over the big bore kit everyday, I would say it is either time to put it out to pasture or at least clean the contacts.

·
Registered
968 Posts
24volts; how is that possible and if so, would it affect the other components relying on 12volts?
No you only get 24volt prior starting the bike, relay cuts the second battery when you release the starter button. Most big block busas use 24volt cranking setup, and our old vw bug race cars use 6volt starter motors with 12v battery system (spins fkn fast) on ultra high comp big displacement motors.

But in reality, you really shouldn't need 24 volt on pretty "stockish" bike.
Even +1400cc busas can start nicely with 12v. One of our local guys 1700cc busa really needs the extra 12v to start. His motor makes 260whp without nitrous. :biggrin

·
Just call me "nubs"
575 Posts
Okay, does nobody here deal with cars? With the 1070 kit I am assuming he raised your compression? Since your bike does not have the ability to pull timing when starting it is effected by the combination of timing and more compression when trying to turn it over. When it is cold it is easier but as heat and cylinder pressure build, it makes it hard to turn over. Think about drag cars with locked out timing, how they turn over slow and kick back occasionally.

·
5,766 Posts
Okay, does nobody here deal with cars? With the 1070 kit I am assuming he raised your compression? Since your bike does not have the ability to pull timing when starting it is effected by the combination of timing and more compression when trying to turn it over. When it is cold it is easier but as heat and cylinder pressure build, it makes it hard to turn over. Think about drag cars with locked out timing, how they turn over slow and kick back occasionally.
Right... And all that would make zero difference if he had the slow cranking problem BEFORE touching his motor also like he said. :cheers

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ahh, when I read it, I read it wrong and thought that he said he was not having the problem before the kit. Carry on.
With all do respect to the many responders, please can someone offer any suggestions I can understand and apply to fix this problem. I would appreciate it dearly.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am going to stick with the compression causing problems after hot. And also, clean the contacts/replace the starter if you were having this problem before the kit.
Unfortunately, I do not know what contacts are (please explain) and is there a stronger aftermarket starter out there I can purchase or go back with a new stock starter?

·
5,766 Posts
Unfortunately, I do not know what contacts are (please explain) and is there a stronger aftermarket starter out there I can purchase or go back with a new stock starter?
If your really that far down on the mechanics scale, get out the yellow pages and call your local dealer.

:scratch

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
8 Participants
N_painter1
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing