Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my problem. When I start my 01 GSXR 600 it makes a slight tapping noise that sounds like it's coming from the valves on the shifter side but it doesn't speed up when I rev the motor.

Now when the bike is in gear and moving the tapping sound turns into what sounds like a rod knock around 6000 rpm's but it only makes this sound while the bikes moving. I can rev the piss out of it in neutral and all I hear is the slight tapping sound.

I dropped my motor and tore into it a little bit and everything looks okay so far but my question is what is this rod for in the bottom end? It has like an inch of slack and slides side to side with no resistance.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Don't know what it is exactly, but where it slides into the casing at the right (as you look at the images) looks as if there's a chunk of alloy missing....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I got my manual finally and it shows that it's the shaft for the 3rd and 4th gear shift fork.

When I shift it into 3rd gear the whole shaft slides with the shift fork rather then the shift fork sliding down the shaft if that makes sense.

I think the piece that looks like it's missing has something to do with the pic because it looks fine in person.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts