1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
The 93 is liquid cooled the 91 air/oiled you will run into problems rooting the cooling system also the 93water pumper isn't really anymore powerful than the oile cooled, if you want more power, set the 1127 oil cooled and bore and stroke it.
Karl

------------------

·
Registered
62 Posts
Audi,
KJ1 is correct. It would be a major headache to put a h2o motor in a 91 frame. If you take your time and get a 91-92 1127 motor and rebuild it with almost no mods (cam, pipe, carbs) you will have a 140 horse monster than will put you on your arse.

Also, the h2o motors weigh a TON. The 96 was the first bike since 90 to weigh less than 500 lbs wet. You might as well buy a harley at that weight.

my $.02

------------------
88 slingshot modded to the gills!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Unfortunately by the time your done finding and buying an 1127 and boring it and doing a valve job and either having it assembled or doing it yourself and retrofitting the hydraulic clutch and buying a new header you've blown a whole riding season and enough money to buy another bike. (used 1127's are going for $2,000 these days)if you can find em. I know I've looked. Don't get me wrong there is nuthin better than a monster oil cooled 1216.

------------------
Stock bikes suck!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Go with the 1127 if you can find one. A better engine is the one out of a GSX1100FJ as they are less prone to crank breakage due to a slightly different layout. But that is only really important if you are getting serious horsepower (180plus) out of it. I've got a 91 750 with this GSX1100FJ 1127 motor bored to 1216 with the associated mods pushing out 150hp at the back wheel, which contributes greatly to it always being on the back wheel. I love it, long live the oilers.

Dale

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by suzukiman17:

Also, the h2o motors weigh a TON. The 96 was the first bike since 90 to weigh less than 500 lbs wet. You might as well buy a harley at that weight.

my $.02

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the H2O motors weigh less than the oilers, are physically significantly smaller and come with a more robust bottom end. If you were swapping the 1100 water pumper into a 750 frame, it might be a cleaner fit, given that it is a couple of inches narrower than the oiler.

The frame and headset of the H2O are quite a bit heavier. Suzuki's bad? (opinion?) for trying to beef up the double cradle instead of doing a beam.

The biggest sin was in the exhaust system. If any more weight had been used in the headers etc., the 1100wp's exhaust components could have been used instead of depleted uranium in those tank rounds

I think it 6 lbs for the grab rail and over 2 lbs for the hidden, unnecessary 'fork brace' that rust away under the front fender as unsprung weight.

Remove those, plus 30 pounds diff on the exhaust if you replace with light ss and the old barge starts to move quite a bit better.

It did get much better ratings in the mags for its handling at any rate than its predecessors, so they must have been doing something right.

Having owned a Harley, I think you're throwing in the towel too soon. Unless you plan on attaching knee-pucks to the bottom of the floorboards!

Keep your sense of bike history in perspective. All the bikes were 'heavy' according to your comments back then. They weren't heavy by the standard of the day, rather by comparison to more current stuff. Suzuki, amongst the others, were pretty damned slow to respond to Honda's CBR900RR, which came out in 1992.

Now excuse me, I have to ice my lower back after parking my '93 1100wp, which though significantly lighter than stock, is still a contender in the WWF!

------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts