Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine stops after 2 mins of idling - What\'s wrong?

Bike: GSX-R 1100
Year: 1992
Km: 37:000

Problem: When riding everything is normal. Good power delivery.
When I stop and let the engine idle for about 2 mins. (traffic jam,red light etc. ) the rev. goes down slowly until the engine goes out completely.
No problem when restarting - everything fine, until the next stop.

What could it be? I have resently installed a jet kit, might this be the problem ?
I have also adjusted the idle screw. Now the idle rev is a bit higher than normal, but it does not solve the problem of the engine stopping

Please help me with your suggestions !
Thanks in advance!

Lemmy69

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Re: Engine stops after 2 mins of idling - What\'s wrong?

Warm up the bike, get back to your place, and then let it idle til it dies... then check your spark-plugs... if they are sooty-black, then your idle screws are set too rich and it's fouling out. If the plugs are shiny-white, then it's too lean. The plugs *should* be a light tan color... if they are, then the problem lies elsewhere.

I once put my tank-bag on carelessly and crimped the vent-line on top of the gas tank... caused the same kind of problem you're describing, but it would spit and cough going down the road too unless I whacked the throttle open. Also check for crimped fuel-lines underneath the gas tank. My money is on fouled plugs and too rich idle setting though.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks FASTCAT !

I'm going to check it as soon as possible.
A friend of mine told me that GSX-R's tend to run too rich if they are equipped with a jet kit.
Hope to solve the problem before the weekend.

Thank you!

Lemmy69

·
Registered
219 Posts

You might be too lean, try richening it up a bit by turning the mix screws out another 1/2 turn or about 2-1/2 turns total

·
Registered
978 Posts

i had that problem too my bike was loading up when i let idal to long defently running rich
let us know

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I'll check it tomorrow. Won't be able to tell you before Monday (no Internet at home, only in office)

I wish you a nice weekend (my weekend starts today due to holidays in Austria: 9th of May=End of World War II in Europe)

Thanks for your posts!

Lemmy69

1 - 6 of 6 Posts