Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine stalls and won\'t turn over

Hey guys, my 92 1100 will start and run fine, then cut out and die. When I try to restart, the headlights are off (not on as usual), indicator lights are on, and starter won't even try to turn over. I shook some wires and it immediatly started and was fine for a while. What would short out and disable the headlight and starter circuit?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Re: Engine stalls and won\'t turn over

Just a wild guess here but hows your alternator?
-Karl

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I think the alternator is fine, since it starts perfectly (when the headlights are on) and when the starter is getting power. Battery voltage is normal....

Thanks though!

·
Registered
2,491 Posts

My other suggestion is to trace your system and look for a short.
-Karl

·
Registered
178 Posts

sandor, check all of your factory plugs. dirt, water, sand, etc. can get into these and cause the problems you are having. also, check the pins in the plugs for any burn marks-this is common when you have loose connections. hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

Check for a ground on all the wires that supply the power to the ignition. The starter relay is powered off the same feed. So if one of those shorts to ground then the bike will stall and not crank over. Remember that all kinds of safety switches are in that power feed, like side stand switch etc.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts

Check the connector blocks that go to the upper fairing. When the lights are out, do the turn signals light up? If shit like that, then one or more of the leads is open and the current (to the signals) is finding another loop. Try using a bit of spray cleaner for the blocks etc..

Good luck!

PS: make sure that any of the 'safety' shit interlocks, like the sidestand switch are clean and opening and closing properly.

[ 05-10-2002, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: bcjohn ]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks for the tips! It turned out to be a faulty ground at the battery. It was either the main cable that attaches to the back of the block; or the secondary lead (B/W). Installed a second ground lead to the sub- frame for redundancy.

Sandor

1 - 9 of 9 Posts