Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question concerning the engine serial number on oil-cooled gixxers.

I've come across an oil-cooled engine that has a serial number that starts with an R. Now it is supposed to be a gsx-r750 engine, but I've read in the Haynes manual that the R is associated with the year 1994, when gsx-r's were already water cooled. Now I'm wondering whether I misunderstood the Suzuki code (maybe it applies to frame only..?), or if it is a 750/600 Katana engine. If it was a Katana engine, is the total displacement indicated somewhere on the engine? I'd be interested in buying this engine since the price is right, but I'd like to be sure that this is no 600 Katana mill. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
The year-letter applies only to the frame. Most engines have its displacement stamped somewhere outside the cylinders.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I've checked and the displacement is 748cc, so it's the short-stroke engine, either '88 or '89. Thanks for your help.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
The disp. is cast into the cylinder at the bottom on the LH side. If you go to the dealer they have a ID guide that has a picture of each year bike and the serial numbers used for frames and engines that year. It also lists the changes from the previous year. I have a set of the books on order.
Bones

1 - 4 of 4 Posts