Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so this is bothering me, i start up my bike with no problem at all, but its running very rough and every now and then will get a backfire. i had recently emptied out the tank and cleaned it, the carbs are tunned. the odd thing here is that one day i started up the bike and it worked fine, the next day was working rough and the engine seems to heat up more than usual. Could this be that i did a bad job cleaning the tank?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
You must have gotten some bits of debris from the tank into your carbs from cleaning the tank and they're blocking the flow of fuel to one of the circuits, most likey the idle. Just pull the rack and clean the carbs with a ton of cleaner and compressed air.
When you put her back together you'd be well off to install some quality fuel filters too. There's not much room for them but they're worth the piece of mind.
GL
EDGE_

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Pitbull Schmitbull.......that thing looks ferocious

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Sektor said:
:lol have a better look
Definately a HALLOWEEN CAT! :cheers
You might look check out the petcock for rust clogging the screen. If thats the case, you need to check the tank for rust build up. Had that problem this summer and lost some riding time until I bought a cheap replacement tank on E-bay.
Tim

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well.. that cat.. its a random pic i found and have no idea who or where its from, i think someone shot the air hose at him.. and yes my tank shows lil signs of rust as it had gas in it for such a long time, but Ebay is not so easy access for me as i live in Azores, Portugal. Any other solutions?

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Sektor said:
Well.. that cat.. its a random pic i found and have no idea who or where its from, i think someone shot the air hose at him.. and yes my tank shows lil signs of rust as it had gas in it for such a long time, but Ebay is not so easy access for me as i live in Azores, Portugal. Any other solutions?
Google motorcycle tank coating or some such combination of words and you'll find a few different ways to clean and coat your tank. Kreem and Por 15-or some such number of Por-are retail tank coatings that you can buy either over the 'net or at some cycle shops. The rust particles will find there way into your carbs if you don't get rid of them.
Tim

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well yeah the previous owner was careless with it and then sold it to my family mechanic who didn't really get to ride it much as he had the USA model to ride and so it spent alot of time with low gas in the tank and now after cleaning it out i saw alot of crap inside the tank.. i did rinse it out well and i added some fuel additive which eats up rust and other dirbis so one of these days i shall empty out the tank and give it another rinse. and just another thought, when i take the tank off to clean it should i drain the carbs aswell as right now i dont really have the time to take them off but they were clean recently and they dont seemed to be totally clogged. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
EDGECRUSHER said:
Just rinse it out a few times with clean gas and keep it full in the future.
Edge-
Will this work on a tank that has visible rust inside? My thought is that the rust will clog the carbs and then the carbs will have to be cleaned and/or rebuilt. My original tank has not yet been sealed and, from what you say, I can safely put it back in place and it will not be a problem (assuming I keep the tank full of gas).
Tim

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I'm just saying it will help with any future rusting. Obviously you can't keep the tank full all the time. But it's the standing still time that starts the rust. While you ride gas is sloshing around inside. But standing still, if there's airspace, condensation will form on the bare walls and corrode them.
If you have the patience and $$ I would suggest buying the Kreem treatment. I believe it has two stages. The first will etch the inside of the tank which gets rid of the rust. If you don't etch it first you will only be covering up rust which anyone knows doesn't work.
My suggestion was purely to get you going. Of course you'll need a good cleanable fuel filter(glass) since you still get an occasional piece of something coming thru. This might not work for someone whose tank is grossly corroded. But then maybe it's time for a different tank anyways.
I think I'd just get a different tank if mine was too bad. Probably be more cost effective.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
yeah I've creemed 2 tanks works well. even with just the sealer its like a big bottle of elmers glue. pour it in, and turn it over, and over till it drys be sure to have all day devoted to doing it it takes a while to set up.after you get the whole inside coated you leave it for an hour, then come back , and turn it over some more then leave it on a different side each time it says one bottle for every five gallons.

after its semi solid, and not running blowing compressed air through it for a few hours will speed up the drying a good warm day in the sun will help too. the three stage kit has a echer, it says to wash the first stage out with water, and it comes with a water remover second. then third pour in the creem.

I'll give you a hint throw a couple hand fulls of small nuts, and washers in the tank while using the echer helps a whole lot to etch the inside. just make sure you have goten them all out after. also make sure not to have big rust spots because that etcher will eat right though the tank if theres too much rust trust me!

Oh BTW it also will seal small holes in a tank too I had that problem about 2 1/2 years ago it sealed it right up! well untill it was jarred then it starteed leaking again thats when I ripped the bottom off, and replaced the damaged section

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.