Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does your supplier of engine parts ship to FPO addresses? I found that my #2 plug is nicely covered in oil and not holding too much pressure neither. So I'm thinking pistons, rings, gaskets, etc. I'll be doing this myself since the labor for japanese bikes here is $$$
. I've been looking for engines here also, but I don't know if euro engines are the same as amreican ones.
Words of wisdom are appreciated
if not encouraged. Thank you guys, once again coming thru for us weak mortals

[ 09-02-2002, 07:12 AM: Message edited by: trickyrickyrican ]

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Unless the piston has damage, you should only need to put in the rings. Save your self some cash..

John

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're right John, what's a good price for a set of rings? Would that be all that I need(barring any difficulties)?
BTW, since I'm going to be in there, what do you think about dropping the 750 cams in there? Or swapping the exhaust for another intake cam? I have the cams available...Anything else that I could do while the top end is open? Looking for those elusive extra ponies

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Well I would have to say this is a basic list...

Head gasket
base gasket
4 ring sets
valve cover gasket (if you like)

If you have high miles you might want to think about:
Valve guide seals (Very hard to change if you dont have the correct tools)
cam chain guides
cam chain

The price will very from shop to shop, but you should be able to get them at a good price... now, if you do a leak down test before you take the motor apart, you can tell if it is a ring or a valve guide seal that is making it burn oil.

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts