Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Guys! I'm here once again recurring to your experience, knowledge and patience!

This time I would like to ask you about a substance that came out with my bike's engine oil. I think it could be important to mention that the bike hasn't been used in months, just turned on once a week, revved for about 15-20 minutes and then turned off again. And that's mainly the reason why I decided to perform the oil change even though I had not traveled the corresponding mileage.
With the oil already on the plastic pan you can observe something in there that seems to be some kind of carbon or maybe a very fine metal filing with a greyish or black color (not shiny like copper but more like a matte gray color).

In the pictures below I show you what I am talking about. Take a particular look at the difference between the pretty fresh oil color and the black zones filled with that substance, i was even thinking on filter that oil since it must have at most 100 miles traveled and 2-3 hours of use...

What do you think that substance can be?
Should i be worried about it?

The bike is a gsxr 1000 k1 and has 34,000 miles.

30 seconds video showing the oil residues i'm talking about:

Thank you in advance!!!!

Attachments

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,705 Posts
I can't tell much from your pics. Could be from the clutch. Get the oil analyzed by Blackstone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hello Bill!!

Thank you very much for your answer. Where i live there is no such thing as Blackstone =( , anyhow i going to try to find someone who could analyze that oil. What i can tell you is that is non magnetic material.

Is there an easy way you could recommend me to check if the clutch is the actual culprit, like taking a look at clutch plates or something...? (this is my first bike so i'm sorry if those question are kind of dumb)

Once again thank you for your quick reply.

PS: i have uploaded 2 new closeup pictures.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,859 Posts
Change the oil, see if it reappears. Also, why are you revving it while it's sitting there?

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,705 Posts
I still can't see anything other than your fingerprint ridges. I see that you previously posted about spark plug fowling and I'm wondering if you're just seeing carbon in the oil. As Nick said, change the oil. But your original post mentioned "difference between the pretty fresh oil color and the black zones filled with that substance" as if you already did. So I'm not sure if the stuff you're seeing is something else. Carbon will show up fairly quickly, it turns the oil black. But "very fine metal filing" is different and not good. Truckers tend to get their oil analyzed nowadays. You might try asking around truck repair shops. I don't think an analysis will be able to identify clutch friction material other than as an inert. But iron from the clutch plates should be easily identified. You can see several typical analyses with their comments on the Blackstone site.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts