Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had 12,000km / 7,500 mile service done. Notably includes new spark plugs. Also switched from semi to full synthetic oil at this time.

Immediately after the service I noticed the volume from the engine was significantly louder than prior to the service. There was also a different sound present, quite similar to how a diesel truck might sound while idling.

• Revving the bike sounds normal, no change from before.
  • Can hear it while riding, once the revs are over 6-7k the noise is masked by the sound of the revs.
  • When letting off the throttle fully there will be no abnormal sound for a fraction of a second, after which the increased volume and notably the odd diesel like rhythm can be clearly heard.
  • No change when bike is cold or warm.
  • No change when clutch is in.

The bikes throttle response feels normal, perhaps a bit smoother after the throttle body sync during the service. No loss of power that I noticed.

I asked the mechanic to take a listen when I noticed it and he said it sounded normal. I've heard full synthetic oil can lead to louder engine volume, however this difference is night and day, which I wasn't expecting. Even more concerning is the diesel like sound.

Gonna have to give the another call here, bring it back once the snow melts (Canada LOL). Wondering if anyone has any thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I uploaded a video with the sound. It's suttle in the video, not so much in person.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update.

Turns out there seal issue with the airbox gasket. Gasket was apparently curled up on one side.

They fixed it right away, night and day difference. The diesel like rhythm is gone, and the engine is 3 times quieter. Good as new.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts