Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Streetfighting Monster
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone identify what models these oil cooled crank cases are from please ?

the engine numbers are -

R710-110100

R716-166712

U704-101567

I havent seen them personally , but spoke to a guy on the phone. he hasnt got a clue about GSXR / Oil cooled motors so just gave me the engine numbers to go on.

Cheers

Lee

·
Registered
930 Posts
the engine numbers are -

R710-110100 <font color="red">748cc j/k Japan domestic. Probably restricted </font>

R716-166712 <font color="red">749cc L Euro general, north America, Australia </font>

U704-101567 <font color="red">1052 France, Germany probably restricted </font>

Cheers

Lee
That's another beer you owe me

·
Streetfighting Monster
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats wicked ! - thanks sickpup

and no worries dude - the beers are on me should we ever meet

i have to know , where do you get your information from ?

if found this link useful suzuki info , but your info is so much more detailed - how do ya do it ?

·
Registered
930 Posts
I ran across a starter list years ago and add to it every time I see a Strange GSXR at work. Also experience, I know a lot of the restictions and sub frame/engine numbers from working on them.

The numbers for the bikes are never perfect as bikes get moved between markets depending on where they are selling best. I've seen a fair few restricted continent bikes sold over here as UK specs by official dealers.

That link is pretty good but as I've said before in relation to the RK a lot of the information there is wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dont suppose you know what the restriction is in the R710 motors do you? I have been wandering around the net trying to find out, a couple of places mention they are restricted but dont say in what way. , have since removed it and popped in a UK spec 749 motor, so Ive had it kicking around for a bit now... hense the post about possibly fitting a 1052 crank and playing around a bit using the short stroke head.

·
Registered
930 Posts
R710 engine's were used in the 88/89 750's. I need to know which model your bike is, J or K and which local the bike is for i.e. japan, europe, switzerland etc

If your bike is a J model it shouldn't have any restrictions but they often do, voluntary restrictions to protect the industry. Igniter box minimum but maybe (probably) cams and carbs as well.

If it's a K model there are at least 2 different versions that I know of but the only differences are the gearbox's, 3rd and 5th gear.

If it is a K model this makes it an 89 model year, the year the Japanese introduced the internal Speed restriction of 112.5mph or 180kph(Japanese local only) Suzuki enforced this using a restricted Ignition, My RK had this restriction. I have also seen Japanese grey imports from 1989ish with 34mm carbs, different cams and restricted Ignition box's.

The only R710's that I know of that might be restricted are Japanese or Swiss model. The Japanese model should have a red light marked as 'speed' that comes on at 55mph and the Swiss has an emission control sysem.

This should give you enough to work out where the restrictions are, let me know how you get on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ta fer all that, It recons to be a J (1988) it did have the speed idiot light 'till I replaced the clocks (have this funny urge to know how fast im going so fitted optimistic 1100 clocks) the carbs do look tiny but dont have them to hand to do some measurements.
Will have a closer look after the Farmyard, just gotta pray I manage to limp it there

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey Sickpup, I might have a bit of an odd one for ya!!
Do all 88-89 motors start with R710? The reason I ask is that I have an 88 GSXR750 (which doesn't really matter since I don't think the engine is original) with:

R705 serial number
748cc cylinder (dot/circle on side)
cable clutch
suzuki grey cases
oil cooler lines that screw into the oil pan (not banjo bolts)
36mm carbs
I live in Canada (usually UK spec stuff here)

I'm confused!!!! Do I have a mixed up engine? Can a 748cc cylinder fit on a long stroke engine with no mods? Or is this another Suzuki trick to foil people from figuring out exactly what they own??

I await you most Guru-like answer...

Stoopid

·
Registered
930 Posts
Can you check a couple of things for me please things for me please Stoopid,

At the bottom of the barrel on one side or the other it will have the cylinder capacity, does it say 748 or 749 cc. I thought the little cast circle was on the head not the barrel?

Also are you sure it's R705 and not N705 as this would explain grey cases?

·
Registered
930 Posts
can you do me a pic of the oil lines going into the pan as well please.

I'm pretty sure I know what the engine is and how it's done but the only way to be certain would be to measure the crank journals and little ends.

I think it's an early long stroke bottom married to a short stroke top probably using bored out little ends (+1mm I think) therefore giving a cheap big bore.

Can't really help any more without the engine in my grubby mits.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey, here's a pic. I know it is not very good, but I'm at work and it's all I have right now. Also note that this engine has the small oil filter (if that makes a difference). What would be the engine size of the "cheap big bore"? MMMmmmmm big bore!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts