Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will an 04 gsxr1000 engine fit in an 02 gsxr1000 frame?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Yes.
You will need to change out the ignition trigger in the motor if you are going to use the 04 motor with the 02 electronics.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I have put a 03-04 motor in a 01-02 twice. both times all I did was change out the ignition trigger and they both worked out perfectly fine. On the first one I changed the cam position sensor because I was told you had to and on the second one I didn't because they looked exactly the same. They both worked perfect. I just put a built 02 1000 motor in my turbo 03 1000. Hope to fire it up soon so I will see if it worked correctly. Just changed out the ignition trigger.
All of the wiring is the same if you just put the 03 motor with different ignition trigger in 02 1000. If you change out the wiring harness you have to change out the clip ons for sure as they have different plugs. Once I saw that I quite trying to put 03-04 harness, computer, and gauges in 02 1000. The plug for the headlight/gauges is different also.

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
plug for the right clip on electrics is different as is the fuel pump

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
yes. I forgot the fuel pump is different also. Just too much stuff to change and thought it was too much of a pain in the ass.

Although it is also a pain in the ass to change out the ignition trigger. You have to pull the head to remove the cam chain guides to get to the ignition trigger. I have pulled the head off and put cams in many times so it is no big deal. Just takes a little time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have put a 03-04 motor in a 01-02 twice. both times all I did was change out the ignition trigger and they both worked out perfectly fine. On the first one I changed the cam position sensor because I was told you had to and on the second one I didn't because they looked exactly the same. They both worked perfect. I just put a built 02 1000 motor in my turbo 03 1000. Hope to fire it up soon so I will see if it worked correctly. Just changed out the ignition trigger.
All of the wiring is the same if you just put the 03 motor with different ignition trigger in 02 1000. If you change out the wiring harness you have to change out the clip ons for sure as they have different plugs. Once I saw that I quite trying to put 03-04 harness, computer, and gauges in 02 1000. The plug for the headlight/gauges is different also.
with that said I might not have to switch it out then!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts