Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any of you guys know of anywhere that sells matching colored black engine paint for a stator cover,clutch cover etc.??(k7)

·
Premium Member
41,722 Posts
Out of curiousity,do you have to use a hi-temp paint?
I didn't. No turning or anything. Had mine painted and on for a year. Sand down where its scratched so its smooth so it will look better. In painting, the prep work is what makes it look good :cheers

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Probably a bad time to ask because everyone looking at the new k9,But I forgot to ask what grit sandpaper did you guys use?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Probably a bad time to ask because everyone looking at the new k9,But I forgot to ask what grit sandpaper did you guys use?
Depends on what you are looking for, are you just scuffing what you have and spraying over it? Or are you stripping it and starting from bare metal?

What final product are you looking for? Show quality?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Depends on what you are looking for, are you just scuffing what you have and spraying over it? Or are you stripping it and starting from bare metal?

What final product are you looking for? Show quality?
Well,Its not scraped horrible, but some spots to the metal.I do want it as new looking as possible though.
I am not willing at the same time to take the covers off.Especially since the damage is only on the face of them.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
scuff them with some scotchbrite, clean them with alcohol and apply several light coats of semi gloss.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well,Its not scraped horrible, but some spots to the metal.I do want it as new looking as possible though.
I am not willing at the same time to take the covers off.Especially since the damage is only on the face of them.
before you do anything, if your sanding scratches out do this:

get you a 20oz coke bottle and poke a small hole in the lid and put some water in it. get some 600 grit sandpaper, and wet sand it. yes i know its bare medel but just dont let the water sit on it.

once you sanded all the scratches out (it will more then likely be down to bare metel) get whats called "self-etching primer" and spray a VERY LIGHT coat over just the bare metel parts ( this isnt your average primer, just for baremetel spots before you actually prime ) prime it, wet sand it again and if it looks like you want, get some hi heat paint ( auto zone) and spray a couple VERY LIGHT coats. if you spray heavy later down the road when the casing gets hot the paint will rise so be sure to spray real light on everything. but the self etching primer is very important, paint will not stick to bare metel.

600grit sandpaper ( wet sand )
self-etching primer ( 1 very light coat over the metel areas )
primer ( 2-3 light coats )
600grit ( wet sand )
semi-gloss black ( 2-3 light coats )

prob wanna let it sit over night and the next day for it to heal properly.

i had to do the same thing and it worked beautifully for me! and thats if your REALLY want it done right. other then that, scotch brite and paint.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
My bike was down prior to me buying it so its far from "show quality". I scuffed mine, primed them, and painted them with high temp grill paint because I like the finish of the stuff. I was trying to hide damage with the semi gloss finish, which worked great. It doesnt need it for temp.

Didnt sound like he wanted to get too involved, painting them on the bike.

:cheers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts