Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Awesome mate! I'm gonna try n learn wheelies next year. Question for u thou. I know u use the clutch but divi do this...

On throttle, pull clutch in as u still have throttle open, open throttle out more then release the clutch

Or

Close throttle, pull clutch in, open more throttle and then release?

Maybe dumb but never tried this yet

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome mate! I'm gonna try n learn wheelies next year. Question for u thou. I know u use the clutch but divi do this...

On throttle, pull clutch in as u still have throttle open, open throttle out more then release the clutch

Or

Close throttle, pull clutch in, open more throttle and then release?

Maybe dumb but never tried this yet

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks man. What kind of bike do you have? It's more like what you said first, rolling on the throttle, pulling in the clutch about 3/4 and slipping it out smoothly while giving it MORE gas.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks man. What kind of bike do you have? It's more like what you said first, rolling on the throttle, pulling in the clutch about 3/4 and slipping it out smoothly while giving it MORE gas.
Nice! I got a Ninja 600 and a Gsxr K7 1000. The ninja is what I use ATM but the Gixxer is being done up for next year :)

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Soooo it's cool to squid it up in the stunt section? Guess they have a pass since it's in the right section? No flame on?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Soooo it's cool to squid it up in the stunt section? Guess they have a pass since it's in the right section? No flame on?
Ahh the classic squid comment, what took you so long?? Lol Hey buddy, if my friends or I go down while not wearing leathers (which I do always wear a jacket) and we get torn up.. Guess what? It's our problem, NO YOURS so don't worry your little panties off about it :). Stop trying to be cool and fit in by starting some "squid" bashing. I bet you have a plastic badge in your wallet that says "Official Online Squid Police" don't you?

Now, to answer your question Mr GSXR-R:
I'm usually at around 40 mph (not sure of my revs, I don't look at my tach) when I clutch it. Now this is on a completely stock k7 600.

·
Frame Slider Tester
1,873 Posts
Doesn't matter what revs you are riding at, it matters what you rev it up to when slipping the clutch. Rev it up to build torque then slipping the clutch applies the torque. Font wheel lifts. More torque = more lift. Don't tell me you never popped a wheelie on a bicycle? You pressed on the Peddle harder to lift the bike. Same thing but use throttle.

On your 1000 just use throttle. My 1000 comes up under hard acceleration. Difference is that I don't want to wheelie. Just dance that tire a couple of inches so I can go fast (disclaimer: professional rider on closed roads. Do not attempt).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Doesn't matter what revs you are riding at, it matters what you rev it up to when slipping the clutch. Rev it up to build torque then slipping the clutch applies the torque. Font wheel lifts. More torque = more lift. Don't tell me you never popped a wheelie on a bicycle? You pressed on the Peddle harder to lift the bike. Same thing but use throttle.

On your 1000 just use throttle. My 1000 comes up under hard acceleration. Difference is that I don't want to wheelie. Just dance that tire a couple of inches so I can go fast (disclaimer: professional rider on closed roads. Do not attempt).
Oh yh course but Admittedly I did use. Lower gear :) the Gixxer never came up under hardly acceleration for some reason. Maybe not in the right power bracket

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On my 600 i had to take it up to 10-12k just to pop it up and my 750 is around 8-9k
I used to have to really give it a lot of throttle also, but once I shifted my weight backwards about 2 inches before I clutched it they came up effortlessly. Sometimes too quick.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Ahh the classic squid comment, what took you so long?? Lol Hey buddy, if my friends or I go down while not wearing leathers (which I do always wear a jacket) and we get torn up.. Guess what? It's our problem, NO YOURS so don't worry your little panties off about it :). Stop trying to be cool and fit in by starting some "squid" bashing. I bet you have a plastic badge in your wallet that says "Official Online Squid Police" don't you?

Now, to answer your question Mr GSXR-R:
I'm usually at around 40 mph (not sure of my revs, I don't look at my tach) when I clutch it. Now this is on a completely stock k7 600.
Well you might want to at least look into this: http://www.gsxr.com/showthread.php?t=85522

Don't want you to starve your engine of oil while you're doin wheelies for miles. :banghead

·
Rectally Assaulted on a Regular Basis
1,147 Posts
No need for an oil pickup mod on the 06/07's the oil pickup is in the rear of the oil pan, I just fill mine up a half a quart or so over and it's good. Have countless hours on the rear wheel and have yet to have an issue. Try a stagard stance while doing long wheelies. Left foot-rear peg, it'll put less strain on your arms.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No need for an oil pickup mod on the 06/07's the oil pickup is in the rear of the oil pan, I just fill mine up a half a quart or so over and it's good. Have countless hours on the rear wheel and have yet to have an issue. Try a stagard stance while doing long wheelies. Left foot-rear peg, it'll put less strain on your arms.
Thanks for the tip! I throw some extra oil in before the next time I ride. The guy doing the standups on the front pegs is my buddy, I'm on the blue 600 doing the staggered wheelie. What do you do as far as weight distribution for staggered? I can't seem to stop favoring the right front peg and I always drift right. It seems like no matter how much I "plan" to try to keep my weight even or even more on the left, by the time I have the wheel up my body just always seems the want to put a little more weight on the right side. Maybe my setup before I clutch it is wrong? How much weight do you feel like you have on each peg before you pic it up? I'm riding them much higher now than I was in that video.. I'm near BP. Here's a recent pic..

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss133/spm241/1381778248_zpsd5d20ee0.png

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also, I've heard some people feel as though they're "pushing" the bike from under them as they're clutching it up staggered?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
7 Participants
mistermcgoo
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing