Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The DMV tells me I cannot register my 1986 GSXR 750 without an emissions label on the bike.
The frame and engine number were not enough. They said the law went into effect in 2022,
that all motor cycles after 1976 need an emissions label.

I checked with Suzuki for a replacement label and they said that the bike never came with one.
My owners manual claims the bike is a US model and has Class 3 emissions.

Anyone know where to get a label?

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
10,933 Posts
I'd expect any labels to be mentioned in the first couple sections of the service manual. Have you looked there?

I haven't seen the law but would guess that it only says that a label must be present, i.e. assuming that you could find a bike with a similar label, you could make one that matched it and apply it to your bike. Was the bike originally sold in California?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes the bike was bought in Ca new and registered there. It sat since 1996, so I needed to have it inspected
to register it. I paid the fees but they would not let it through inspection until it had the sticker.

The service manual and parts manual show no sticker. There is a section in the manual that says the bike meets Tier 3 emissions standards. The dealer says they cannot produce something that
was not made ( the sticker).

I guess I will go back and give it one more try.

Thanks

·
Registered
GSX-R750
276 Posts
When I browse for OEM parts, they usually have a page called "labels", but I have looked for your bike, and indeed there is no such page...

Maybe you are right. Maybe it was a non-CA model back in the day, and it didn't have one. In that case, that sucks, but yeah maybe you can meet the intent by just finding another one and copying it.

Does your bike have the fuel evap canister? All CA models have to have that, even as old as yours. Maybe just tell Suzuki it was a CA model so they can tell you which label you need?

-Mike

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
I looked at all 4 of my 1st gen frames, and none of them have an emissions label .... Hopefully you can figure this out, and get it registered ...

·
10,933 Posts
Yours apparently had a carbon canister (note that every part there is discontinued). There might have been a label about the hose routing along the lines of the one seen here. AFAIK that label is long gone and your bike is 14 years older. But you ought to be able to make one that should be convincing - IF that's what they want.

I don't claim broad knowledge about this but think that Suzuki liked to stamp sound level information on the muffler.

"I checked with Suzuki for a replacement label and they said that the bike never came with one."
This is what the dealer says or you're getting it straight from Suzuki USA?

P.S. Your bike is 36 years old and may get special treatment as an antique when it comes to registration. The post by chromophones here may provide some insight. Note the post later on about 7500 miles or a CARB sticker. You might also try contacting a Ca chapter of the Antique Motorcycle Club.

·
Premium Member
4,558 Posts
ummm...emissions label? the only label that i can think is the federal sound level, and that would be stamped in the oem exhaust. yeah, emissions...CA had charcoal canisters, so i guess that could be emissions. i have some charcoal canisters from one of my first gens that i purchased many years ago.

who is asking? dmv? chp? you should ask for clarification and to show you the law, so you can produce the proper documentation. otherwise, go on another day with a different employee.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the help. I found a picture of an emissions label for a 1987 model. I was thinking about having
this recreated with 1996 date. Does anyone know a company that makes labels from pictures?

I spoke with a local shop that deals in vintage motorcycles and they indicated the emissions label
problem is a big issue on all the bikes from the 70's and 80's right now in Ca. If the bike needs to be
inspected for registration it has to have it, but many manufacturer's did not include them when the bikes
were made.

·
10,933 Posts
Here're the vacuum hose routing diagram label and the vehicle emission control information label on my K6 1000.

I'll bet that the uproar is about the emission control label and that your bike originally came with one, but much simpler than mine. Suzuki lists my vacuum hose label but it's long discontinued. They don't list the emission label and never did. If you can find one to copy, it should be fairly easy for someone with Photoshop to recreate it and print it on some heavy paper. That is, it's just text; match the content, font, and layout. Then coat it with Krylon clear spray until it becomes more like a plastic label and glue it onto the frame. There also are companies that can custom print white vinyl labels using supplied artwork. Most Suzuki labels have a black line border and include a part number. But not these two.

P.S. I have a '69 Corvette and it has an emissions related label. So they've been required for some time. I'd expect something similar with motorcycles.

P.P.S. The emissions control label has a very small amount of information about the ignition timing. I don't recall seeing any such information anywhere else.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts