Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bet I'm outside the normal here, but, on this GSXR 1000 I just got, I'm kinda wanting to put the stock rear tail-lamp, fender, and turn signals back...

The rear end looks cool as is: it's got LED lamps that sorta look like C3P-O's eyes for tail lights, where the outside-most side of each "eye" is the respective turn signal. It got me past state inspection this way, as technically it works. And, did I already say, it does look damn cool. C-L-E-A-N!!!

-BUT-
The nerdy side of me is evaluating it's performance as a tail-light/turn signal/fender: The LEDs seem to be OK as just rear marker lights, but there is not much extra brightness when the brake is applied.. Considering the range of people we're all sharing the road with, I'm not sure all of them would immediately know "Oh- he's got his brakes on! Let me act accordingly" Same with the turn signals. And, with the LED turn signals, the lamps flash too fast. I know there's a couple ways to fix that (different flasher relay, or resistors) but still. How far to go down the rabbit hole?

Also, if I do run into some rain, how well will the little ducky fender that is riding just above the rear wheel prevent a strip of filth water from painting my back? Finally, the tag is held at a stupid angle, and just looks like a bodge job.

I know many people eliminate fenders- I'm totally not knocking their personal preference.. I'm just currently leaning towards going back to stock for the reasoning mentioned above. Anyone else done this? Thoughts?

Jason

·
Super Moderator
15,002 Posts
Yeah...that Euro tail (as they called it) was very popular on that gen Gixxer. I had the same setup on my 750. Not sure why the original owner left the bungee hooks on there like that. Sort of defeats the purpose of getting the ass end as clean as possible.

That bike didn't come with a rear hugger, nor does it need one. If you get caught in the rain the dirt will get thrown towards your undertail if you still have it installed or your battery tray/trunk space if you don't.

Good luck finding someone with the original rear fender setup. You're on your own on that one. :lol

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,781 Posts
I see that PUIG makes a rear hugger for K1-K4. It looks somewhat bulky on ebay but I've never seen one in person.

The federal requirement for rear turn signals is that they have a 9" c-c minimum separation. Some states check this and will fail you if it isn't met. There's also a 3½ sq. in. minimum area requirement. See Bugman's experiences.

Resistors always seemed like something to avoid IMO.

·
Banned
3,858 Posts
I have the OEM rear fender on my K1 1K and K7 750.

It's more functional when you get caught in the rain. Before I had it on the 750 my back and back pack used to get covered in sand and dirt.

Plus I like my K1 looking like and old dorky 1000, so when an S1000RR or ZX10R gives me a run, they just get to see that big fat ugly fender pulling away in front of them :surprise:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the OEM rear fender on my K1 1K and K7 750.

It's more functional when you get caught in the rain. Before I had it on the 750 my back and back pack used to get covered in sand and dirt.

Plus I like my K1 looking like and old dorky 1000, so when an S1000RR or ZX10R gives me a run, they just get to see that big fat ugly fender pulling away in front of them :surprise:
Yeah man! That's what I'm talking about! I scored an original taillight assembly at the cycle junkyard this weekend, but they didn't have any un-chopped fenders. Hope I can find one.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Yeah man! That's what I'm talking about! I scored an original taillight assembly at the cycle junkyard this weekend, but they didn't have any un-chopped fenders. Hope I can find one.
If you become a site supporter you gain access to our classifieds sections...

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you become a site supporter you gain access to our classifieds sections...
Aha! Get this- when I became a site supporter, now I have access to the classified sections! :)

All jokes aside: Sorry about that Anthony- newbie exuberance got the best of me! My fault for not reading the new user rules more carefully!

Jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts