Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the carbs do need to be synced and cleaned i'm sure, however, while discussing what my bike does when it trys to start, with one of the techs here at work, he said it's not a battery problem, he said it's a charging/electrical problem more then likely.

THe problem: When I try to start my bike, when cold, I'll turn the red switch on, then hit the start switch, and it'll die completely, lights everything go off, but if I sit there and hold it down (the start switch) it'll slowly come back and eventually turn-over and start up. Doesn't do this after it starts, if I were to shut it off and try to start it. While running the lights fluxuate (spelling??) heh.

He said that it's probably the charging system, and to go buy a multimeter and test the circuits and find out the correct voltages to EVERYTHING on the bike.. Anyone have any suggestions if they've heard of this before? Before I start testing everything?

--
Corey

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
OK there could be more then one problem.

1) test the voltage at the battery (bike off should be 12.5ish)
2) test the voltage at the battery with the bike running (14v)
3) then pull the rear bodywork and check the black plug for the rectifier
4) check the voltage at the battery when you CRANK the motor
5) check the voltage at the starter durring cranking

After you have done all that, let us know.

John

[ 02-04-2003, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: GSXR-Freak ]

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well:

1) 12v
2) 11-12.v sorta

the other 3, i have to go into work tomorrow and ask the guy how to work the multimeter for those calculations, since its in ohms and i'm using a multimeter from 30 yrs ago... he's a plan tech..

Can anything be said so far? Or shoudl I check the rectifier and whatnot as well..

--
Corey

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Well:

1) 12v
2) 11-12.v sorta

the other 3, i have to go into work tomorrow and ask the guy how to work the multimeter for those calculations, since its in ohms and i'm using a multimeter from 30 yrs ago... he's a plan tech..

Can anything be said so far? Or shoudl I check the rectifier and whatnot as well..

--
Corey
Well if the voltage with the bike running at like 4K RPM is only like 11 - 12v then you have a charging problem...

Do you have the book?

John

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn John, i'm an idiot, I rode my bike to work, to get the technician to look at it, but left his multimeter at my house, however, when I left work it started jerkin on me and the gauges and lights started flickering.. I was like WHAT THE HELL, and I was in traffic aswell, and I noticed everytime I got on it bad, ikt would act up, so I rode down to the nearest gas station and popped the seat off, and noticed the damn bolt holding the negative lead on the battery was somewhat loose, luckily I had a phillips head in my trunk, and I tightened that biznatch down and had no more problems, no fluxating headlights... I guess this all comes as a learning experience... but i'm heading out today to see about trading the bike in on a new one, I honestly don't want to put anymore money into this bike.. I wish I could, but I don't think it would be worth it..

--
Corey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts