Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a salvaged 2000 R6 for my girlfriends first bike. I had to put a lot into it, but it's almost there. I had it put all together because I was going to sell it the way it was. I was curious as to how it would run, so I took it for a five minute spin. The bike runs great. I had never been on an R6 before, but it seemed to have the same reaction and feel as my old R1, but not as severe......anyway.....about two miles from home, on the way back (didn't go far because I don't have it registered) the gauges started ticking, the lights got dimmer (it was at night) and all of a sudden, I have no power. I pushed the bike all the way home. For shits and giggles, when I got it home, I tried to start it again and it fired up. I know that batteries will get a little bit of their juice back if you let them sit, but this battery was dead. It's a pretty new battery as well. One of the guys that helped me put it back together said that it could have something to do with the Guage cluster not being properly mounted. Now this could be true, because I'm waiting for a new front fairing bracket to come in so I can get it to stay, so for now, it's bouncing all over the place. Would this be the reason for my gradual loss of electrical power? Don't want to take it to a dealer and get robbed. When it comes to taking bikes apart, I can't do it, but electriacal crap scares me.

Rem Dog.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It sounds to me like you have a broken solar panel.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Originally posted by BYOCOM:
It sounds to me like you have a broken solar panel.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That could definitely be it. The Yamaha R6's actually had a recall here in Australia becaus eof problems with the solar panels. The R1's were ok because the cells in the panels were weather proof but the R6 ones were not which caused them to go off colour in the sun and fradually melt. This would cause a shorting of the instrument panel resulting in symptoms similar to those described.

You can use plasticine to insulate the cells if you have not had the original solar panel replaced yet. Don't put the plasticine on too thick though because you lose 3 to 4 horsepower if it is too thick

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
Our sun is pretty tuff on equipment, back in the summer of 2000 (which was a really stinker) I saw a guy on a fireblade actually have his bike melt into a blob on the ground while he was waiting at a set of lights. Honda covered that one up damn quick I can tell you, he got a new bike out of it but now he is under a nda and can't chat about it. Back on topic the reason electricity scares you is cause you can't see it, but it is related to the "ravenous bugblatter beast of traal" a creature so bewilderingly dim that it thinks that if you can't see it, it can't see you, so to wrap this up in a nice bundle... if you think you are transparent when you work on electricity components, they can't see you so they can't hurt you. QED.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Originally posted by gsxrboy:
Our sun is pretty tuff on equipment, back in the summer of 2000 (which was a really stinker) I saw a guy on a fireblade actually have his bike melt into a blob on the ground while he was waiting at a set of lights. Honda covered that one up damn quick I can tell you, he got a new bike out of it but now he is under a nda and can't chat about it. Back on topic the reason electricity scares you is cause you can't see it, but it is related to the "ravenous bugblatter beast of traal" a creature so bewilderingly dim that it thinks that if you can't see it, it can't see you, so to wrap this up in a nice bundle... if you think you are transparent when you work on electricity components, they can't see you so they can't hurt you. QED.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Also, working in a vacuum when you are near elevtrical equipment helps also. As we all know, electricity is only dangersous when the smoke gets out of the cables but working in a vacuum, the smoke has nowhere to go so it is quite easy to catch it all and put it back inside the cable. You just need to make sure you have some silicone sealan when you first go into the vacuum so you can reseal the cables with the smoke in them. You obviously can't leave the vacuum to get the silicone because the smoke will just follow you out and then there is big trouble. This is also why no one gets electrocuted in space.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The problem is directly related to your physical location, i.e. Austalia. Electricity was not designed to run the wrong way up seeing as it was invented this side of the globe so you should either install an electricity pump, probably a second series spamo-meter with a refracted TLA or relocate the battery so it's directly underneath the oil drain plug, which in your case is now the filler, so that the electricity runs the right way to your plugs. If you consider the inversion factor associated with your orientation, then you should be able to rectify most problems with simplified 3D planer-decker Sigma charts if you have the fokker convertor.

Or is that just bollocks??

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Originally posted by GTF:
Or is that just bollocks??
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yes thats just bollocks - its definately a failure of his solar panels.

You know if they fail you can use the back up method of generating electricity for the bike.

Simply remove the fairng and the crank cover, get a socket that fits the crank end and wind her up manually, about 2 hours of continuos winding generates enough electricity through the magneto and back into the battery to last about a weeks worth of riding.

Builds your arms up good to !

Just do this once every saturday morning and you should never have any more problems.

G

·
Well - these guys know their shyte, Ram. It definitely sounds like your solar panels have gone bad on ya. But don't be disheartened. I've pioneered a mod that combines the electricity-generating properties of solar panels with the ever-popular bike-furring fad. This mod produces as much or more power than your stock solar panels, reduces weight, is usually much less expensive than replacing your panels (depending on where you go shopping), and the girlies love it.

I'll first start off with the parts list:

1. 1 50' roll insulated copper wiring (14-18 gauge)
2. 20 Alligator clips
3. 1 roll duct tape
4. 15 - 30 live cats
5. 7 - 15 pairs of silk stockings
6. Wire ties

First, start with the cats. Cut the silk stockings apart and save just the legs. Next, insert each cat into a 'leg' of their own, securing both ends with wire ties. If you've done this correctly, the cats should kind of look like sausages.

Once you get the cats fully secured in the leggings, you'll want to start wiring them, in series, with the copper wire and alligator clips. I find that the best places to secure the alligator clips are either on the tail, or on one of the two ears they sport, but these are not your only options. Some big tomcats are well suited for Nutsack attachment (which will also give your bike and aggressive, throaty scream as you travel down the road).

Next, you'll want to mount the cats to your bike. Remember, you want full coverage over your bike's fairings. Make sure you have enough cats before starting. The actual mounting process is easy... simply duct tape them in place over the stock plastic. Use some creativity here! Remember, you're not limited to the cat's original color patterns. If need be, you can always add in a splash of color with some RIT die or other means.

Finally - attach the two wire ends from the inline series of cats to the battery, one to the positive terminal, and one to the negative. It shouldn't matter which wire goes where, unless your cats have been polarized.

Congratulations! You've finished the mod! Now for the fun part - riding! Just rub the cats vigorously and hit the start button and you're on your way.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Originally posted by leanangle_750:
First, start with the cats. Cut the silk stockings apart and save just the legs. Next, insert each cat into a 'leg' of their own, securing both ends with wire ties. If you've done this correctly, the cats should kind of look like sausages.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I had heard that someone was working onthis theory but didn't think you would be able to pull it off. It's good news to hear that someone has finally developed an effective way of replacing those old technology solar panels with a new techonology electrical cat array.

I hope you've got all your patents all sorted out because this is just the sort of thing that the big companies will try and steal of you and claim that it was their idea.

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
Regarding the smoke getting out, the concept and action I know, but this is a question to our US readers, which way does the smoke spiral out, is it clockwise or counter clockwise. I wonder if the smoke is linked at a base level to water in a sink going down a drain, or a toilet?

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Originally posted by gsxrboy:
Regarding the smoke getting out, the concept and action I know, but this is a question to our US readers, which way does the smoke spiral out, is it clockwise or counter clockwise. I wonder if the smoke is linked at a base level to water in a sink going down a drain, or a toilet?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Smoke actually spirals in the opposite direction of water regardless of whether you are north or south of the equator.

Gravity has the opposite effect on smoke as to water as we all know. ie: gravity attracts water and repels smoke obviously resulting in water going down and smoke going up. The corealis affect (water spiralling different ways north and south of the equator) is also linked with gravity.

Link the 2 together and you'll find that the smoke does indeed spiral the opposite way in the US. But if you alsolook closely in both Australia and the US you will notice that it also spirals the complete opposite of water.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sorry guys, but Woodster has the right idea here. If anything the vacuum would make you -more- likely to be electrocuted due to the electrons being so lonely. For some reason electrons still like to hang around nuclei despite being the proton's bitch. Protons have had this thing against electrons ever since a few trillionths of a nanosecond after the big bang. I think it had something to do with one running over the other's dog? I'm not too sure anymore.. that was a while ago.

-Anyways-, I had the same problem and it turned out to be my alternator. Now I wasn't too engine savy at the time and didn't have much money, so I decided to do the B-Gen mod and went to a scrap yard and found one of those old bicycle headlight generators that attach to the tire with a little spinny dealy to generate current.
Now, motorcycles go a lot faster than bicycles so I didn't want to get zapped during the install, so I shoved my bike over on its side in my driveway and pushed it upside down so it was resting on the bars. A little bending of the front fairing is normal, but that'll come right out with a drywall hammer.
Some gas caps leak, and you don't want to create a dangerous situation by having flamables all over your driveway, so I kinda slid underneath the tank during the install. It was only a small stream so I was able to catch most of it in my mouth while I was busy installing the generator, and I was done before the sixth swallow.
After that all I had to do was run the wire from the generator to both contacts of the battery through a couple holes I punched in the seat and fairing.
I was done within maybe eight minutes (usual time for B-Gen mod is 27mins) so I flipped her right back over and had a cigarette. Now, I don't smoke anymore because I ended up in the hospital with an exploded ribcage, but my doctor had always warned me that smoking was a health risk so I guess I brought it upon myself.
But that's enough of my life story. I just hope this helps your girlfriend get a better ride.

--non

[ 10-16-2002, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: nonchron ]

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts