Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a battery did to be connected for a bike to run properly. I wanted to just leave the starter, but someone mentioned I would have charge the battery after every race why? Keep in mine this is for a track bike

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
i believe there still needs to be a battery.....some racebikes run total loss systems, which means they have batteries but no alternators (to reduce power losses).

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you have an alternator that is hooked up, then you have to have a battery. A battery acts as a sort of voltage stabilizer in the electrical system. The voltage regulator controls how much the alternator puts out based on battery voltage. If you take the battery out of the equation, the charging system will think that the battery is totally dead, and will be charging at maximum capacity all the time. Otherwise known ass full fielded.
Not only will this quickly ruin your alternator, but a lot of other things in your electrical system that are not designed to be run at the higher voltages your system will be operating at. Keep your battery hooked up.
How did you plan on operating you starter anyway?

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Let me clear something up for you... A "Total Loss" system uses a small battery just to run the Ign system. The alt is removed. the battery is small and will not be able to start your bike using the starter. The reason youy charge the battery between races is because of the drain put on it by the Ign system. The battery is very small like the one from a kick start bike and will run the Ign system for about 3-4 hours. If you do not want to push start or roller start your bike you can wire in a Quick disconnect set up (its like the Jumper Cables that plug into the front of your truck at a external connection. You can get any electrical shop that makes battery cables to make them up for you. You start your bike on a external battery then disconnect it.
Bones

1 - 5 of 5 Posts