Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
"I accidentally touched metal which the terminals were off the relay and the bike tried to start without key on. What would be a way to fix that??"
Fix what? I'm beginning to wonder if you should be working on the bike.
Wow BillV. No need for negative comments please sir. I’m just asking questions and get my bike going. I can’t afford to take my bike to shop. So that’s why I’m trying to do the work myself. I’m not a pro but I do what I can. And I’m definitely not electrical genius at all either

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow BillV. No need for negative comments please sir. I’m just asking questions and get my bike going. I can’t afford to take my bike to shop. So that’s why I’m trying to do the work myself. I’m not a pro but I do what I can. And I’m definitely not electrical genius at all either
It's alright man. Alot of these sites have People that when they comment, it may sound rude or like they exspect you to know.. but its not really the case. They love humor and for the guy thats not an exspert mechanic (Like Myself ) he may feel like Crying in the corner. Don't let it bother you, and dont take it to heart bud.. its humor and to be honest.. i chuckled when i read that. Like myself i dont have the caketo go to a mechanic and say here fix it. So i do my best to figure stuff out. There are FREE Downloadable Manuals for bikes on the net., You want that first thing. Get a Voltmeter like he recommended, Thst will help you diagnose the problem Fast and if not save you money, and time in the Future. id definitely do what e recommended with that loop. Go buy a Voltmeter at Walmart or somewhere under $20. And id definitely check the battery 1st thing.. then fuses. Then the Loop he mentioned. Like i said: Dont take things to heart i know when your bike is down... It Completely Sucks snd your feeling pretty sad, mad about it. Breath and just do your best to laugh about it, Hopefully you'll be back on the road Smiling and Laughing. There's lots of People on here that are way more knowledgeable than me that can about diagnose any problems you have without hearing your bike run or seeing it. They know their stuff. Best of Luck Bud.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thank
It's alright man. Alot of these sites have People that when they comment, it may sound rude or like they exspect you to know.. but its not really the case. They love humor and for the guy thats not an exspert mechanic (Like Myself ) he may feel like Crying in the corner. Don't let it bother you, and dont take it to heart bud.. its humor and to be honest.. i chuckled when i read that. Like myself i dont have the caketo go to a mechanic and say here fix it. So i do my best to figure stuff out. There are FREE Downloadable Manuals for bikes on the net., You want that first thing. Get a Voltmeter like he recommended, Thst will help you diagnose the problem Fast and if not save you money, and time in the Future. id definitely do what e recommended with that loop. Go buy a Voltmeter at Walmart or somewhere under $20. And id definitely check the battery 1st thing.. then fuses. Then the Loop he mentioned. Like i said: Dont take things to heart i know when your bike is down... It Completely Sucks snd your feeling pretty sad, mad about it. Breath and just do your best to laugh about it, Hopefully you'll be back on the road Smiling and Laughing. There's lots of People on here that are way more knowledgeable than me that can about diagnose any problems you have without hearing your bike run or seeing it. They know their stuff. Best of Luck Bud.
[/QUOTE
Thank you I didn’t really take it to heart that much. Just frustrated and want it running. I know it may be something I’m overlooking due to lack of knowledge. But that’s why I’m here lol. The battery and starter are getting power. Just not sure what else to try. I ordered new rectifier today also. Gonna be a somewhat new electrical components by the time this is all done. Lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I did change the relay today. Still not starting. I’m gonna more troubleshooting right now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, take a long nose pliers, and touch the both sides of the terminals on the starter relay (with the ignition on) does the bike start?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ok, take a long nose pliers, and touch the both sides of the terminals on the starter relay (with the ignition on) does the bike start?
Yes it’s trying to start when I touch both sides. But not when I run the key on. This is a new relay as of today. What is the fix for this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
No. When the key is on the bike won’t start but I touch terminals and it turned over with key off
Ok what I'm asking you to do is
1) Put the key on
2) with the ignition on, after the fuel pump prime
3) touch the 2 terminals
Does the bike start and idle??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Hey thanks. I figured out it was the clutch switch I’ve went down years ago and it got slightly cracked but still functioned properly until it just stopped. I have replaced some other parts that I thought was it but hey nothing wrong with changing out few things. I’m back on the road on one wheel!! Lol

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
8,761 Posts
Well at least it's running again.

Clutch switch: See post #4 here from 12 days ago. You indicated in #5 that you could hear the relay clicking. That can only happen if the clutch switch is working or bypassed. I now suspect that you were hearing something else like the STVA.

I sense that you still don't have the service manual or a multimeter. You're asking for problems trying to diagnose electrical problems without both.

"take a long nose pliers, and touch the both sides of the terminals on the starter relay"
That puts something like 60-80 amps through them and invites them turning red hot or shorting to other parts. A voltmeter would have told him everything he needed to know without the risk.

"Wow BillV. No need for negative comments please sir."
This forum used to be much more intolerant of silliness. The aggressive days seem to be gone but expect to be called out if you're doing something dumb. My comment was on the mild side. I appreciate that we all have to learn. But it sounded like you were replacing the relay without disconnecting the battery. Bad idea.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts