Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All.
I am owner of 2006 Gixxer 1000 I am having electrical problems. I changed starter and when I turn key I hear fuel pump and starter relay engage but when I hit start button the lights blink but no attempt at starting at all. Any help or info is greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
WE need more information. Was bike running when you "changed starter" ? What was happening for you to change starter ? Is that starter motor, you changed ? Are you getting 12v at the starter motor, power wire ?
Check, Kill switch, on . side stand switch OK, clutch switch OK.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the bike was not running when I changed starter. I was out riding and made a stop. When I got ready to leave. It wouldn’t start again. And I checked everything out. So I started changing parts to see if that might fix problem. Starter was first replacement part the process to eliminate problem. I don’t have a volt meter yet though.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
8,757 Posts
Can you hear the starter relay click beneath the seat when you press the START button? I'd be suspicious of the clutch switch. You're running blind without a volt meter and cheap ones are available. See the diagram on 9-12 of the service manual. This should be easy to diagnose.

·
8,757 Posts
There's a heavy red lead from the battery to the relay, a black lead from the relay to the starter, and a heavy black lead from the frame to the battery. The problem is somewhere along that loop. Check the connections at the battery. Then at the starter relay, then at the frame. If you had a voltmeter, you could check the voltage at the starter terminal. I guess the relay could be bad but they're fairly robust.

·
Registered
3 Posts
had the same problem, it was my battery, my starter going out some how killed my battery, idk- wdf, kinda luck that was but,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's a heavy red lead from the battery to the relay, a black lead from the relay to the starter, and a heavy black lead from the frame to the battery. The problem is somewhere along that loop. Check the connections at the battery. Then at the starter relay, then at the frame. If you had a voltmeter, you could check the voltage at the starter terminal. I guess the relay could be bad but they're fairly robust.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you hear the starter relay click beneath the seat when you press the START button? I'd be suspicious of the clutch switch. You're running blind without a volt meter and cheap ones are available. See the diagram on 9-12 of the service manual. This should be easy to diagnose.

·
8,757 Posts
Page 9-12 of the Suzuki K5/K6 service manual. There's only one diagram on that page.

·
8,757 Posts
^There's a sticky in the 1000 general forum with a link to it. There are two K5/K6 service manuals, one the original and another with around 3500 changes. As I recall, the original has a grossly erroneous torque for the rear sprocket nut.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try to short the poles or screw on the relay. ‘B’ for Battery, beside a 30amp fuse and ‘M’ for Motor. See if the Bike or the engine cranks or starts. If It does, then replace your relay.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update. Today I got new solenoid and I accidentally touched metal which the terminals were off the relay and the bike tried to start without key on. What would be a way to fix that?? Any suggestions??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All.
I am owner of 2006 Gixxer 1000 I am having electrical problems. I changed starter and when I turn key I hear fuel pump and starter relay engage but when I hit start button the lights blink but no attempt at starting at all. Any help or info is greatly appreciated
Yea, I advise u check ur rectifier if it’s still work.

·
8,757 Posts
"I accidentally touched metal which the terminals were off the relay and the bike tried to start without key on. What would be a way to fix that??"
Fix what? I'm beginning to wonder if you should be working on the bike.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts