Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, some background on the bike. 97 600, 12,000 miles, no mods other than sprocket & recently put flush mounts on the back, but not the front yet.

Now the problem. I went to leave work yesterday, hit the starter, cranked over a few times, & then I lost all power, no headlight, no power to gauges, nothing. Played with the ignition switch a little, moved the handlebars around & moved cables around (I thought something might be pinched), but still nothing. Checked the fuses by the gauges & they were all good.

Then I decided to try to push start it, put the key in it, & what do you know, I have power again. So I hit the start button, & I immediately lose all power again. A few seconds after releasing the start button, power comes back. Push the start button again, same thing happens. I say a few choice words, push it again, & it fires up.

Ride it home, turn it off, try to start it, & everything is fine. This morning, it started up fine, but I didn't dare ride it because it looked like the lights (both headlight & taillight) were flickering. I did not allow it to warm up to see if this would change, the choke was on & it was spinning at about 2 grand.

So does anyone have any ideas? Something wrong in the start button? Possibly the flush mounts I installed a couple months ago doing something weird?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks guys
Chad

·
Bearded Admin call him Grizzly
88,756 Posts
check the voltage of the battery you may have a dead cell and also check to see if the battery cables are tight

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
I would also check the voltage at the batt under cranking... Just cause it reads out at 12.9v with no load does not make for a good batt.. You should get like 12.0 maybe a bit less under cranking...

Also, check the plug that connects the rectifier. They tend to melt...

John

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Hopefully I'll get a chance to check those things soon & I'll let you guys know. I just thought it was odd that I lost everything when hitting the starter, things didn't dim, they just went out, like the key was off.

thanks again
Chad

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Well if there is a dead cell, and you hit the starter, it could pull enough power to shut down everything.. Or is the plug is melting, then the same thing could happen..

John

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
My bike had a simlar problem, and it's the same bike as yours with similar mileage.

1) DEad cell in my battery. It'll hold a surface charge, but after discharging that, it only had 9-ish Volts. Replaced batt.

2) Then my bike wouldnt start when warm. Symptoms : the lights flicked and the guage blanks out, cranking ceased.

I inspected the starter motor and sprayed electrical spray at connections at the relay, from the starter motor, and the connection to the rectifier.

Problem went away.

Unfortunately, i cannot pinpoint which connection were a bit rusty
Visually, the pins and slots are in good shape, so it's hard to tell by eye... unless it's rusting in there

Good luck mate

KaTz

[ 08-07-2002, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: KaTz ]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I think the problem is fixed. Loose negative battery cable. Real loose. Possitive was slightly loose. Used a meter on it before tightening it, & it would drop to 9 something when cranking. After tightening, it was just under 11 volts. I plan to do the tests recommended by the manual on the battery & rectifier this weekend.

Thanks again for the advice guys. I should know to check the simple stuff before I come begging for help.

thanks
Chad

·
Bearded Admin call him Grizzly
88,756 Posts
well lets hope that was it charge the battery back up and see if there is any voltage loss let us know how you make out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts