Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding my 97 750 gixxer on the the highway when I looked down to see
how fast I was going. I noticed that my rpm and speedometer were not working.
When I pulled off on the next exit the bike died at the next stop sign. The battery
was almost completely drained and the bike would not start. Unfortunately I had to
throw it on the pick-up to get it home.

The battery is pretty new (only 100miles/2 months old) so I don't think that is the problem.
The old battery kept getting discharged.

What are some of the checks that I should be performing to diagnose the problem. I'm
open to all suggestion since I have never experienced this problem. I have all the
electrical testing equipement available, so I can do all the checks myself.

So any suggestions?? I don't want to die out again especially if I'm far from home.

Mike

·
Registered
399 Posts
I would bet a $100 its your regulator or rectifier. I had the same exact thing happen to me last winter. I replaced the battery and stator wich was not cheap. The only thing it was was the regulator. Alot of the bikes around our year have this go wrong just look at some past post. I think it was JEFF that helped me on mine. I picked up both item from here on FOR SALE, also a bunch on ebay for sale. A new reg. and rect. are costley from the dealer. http://www.gixxer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001124

[ 10-02-2002, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: Breathsounds ]

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks everyone for the help..

I tried the tests this past weekend. First my bike was only reading 11.75V with the bike running. So I check the generator and the voltage out of each of the 3 terminal was only 3.8V.

It looks like I'm going to need a new generator.

Thx again,..Mike

Any good places to get a cheap generator?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Before you spend a lot of $$ on a generator, make sure that's the problem. A lot of us (especially myself) on here have chased electrical problems and wasted money in the process. I think my manual says to check the charging voltage with the bike at 5K rpm. You may be getting a low reading if it was only at idle or if you had a fully charged batt and no accessories (brights, turn signals, etc) on to create a draw. Also, did you check the plug from the rectifier that likes to melt? Sorry if this is duplicate info you've already thought about. Just hate to see you spend big $$ for a generator if you don't have to.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried out the suggestions this past weekend and this is what I got:

1. The voltage for the battery was 12.5V(with everything off)
2. The I started the bike and brought it up to 5000rpm. The voltage at the battery drop to 11.75V. Even when I brought the engine up to 5000rpms it did not increase.
3. Next I checked the wires coming at out of the stator for voltage. They were supposed to read at least 55V. I not sure if I was doing the check correctly. I was only geting 3.8V.

This is how I check for the voltage. I switched the multi-meter to read AC voltage. I put the positive lead of the multi-tester to one of the 3 prongs and the negative lead to one of the other two. I tried many different combinations but always got the same result.
Also I tried grounding the negative lead of the multi-tester and the putting the positive lead to the (3) prongs individually but then I got no voltage. I'm not good with electrical testing so I hope I did it correctly.

Does this mean my stator is bad or is it the generator?? I checked the price for both and they are pretty expensive so I don't want to make a mistake.

I checked the wires from the rectifier and the were all ok, none were melted. I also tried testing the rectifier per the manual but I'm lost w/ that damn multi-tester. I tried measuring the resistance across the different wire combinations but the meter always read one. The meter was set at 2K ohms, but it always reads 1. I don't know what I'M doing wrong!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Almost forgot. When I was checking the voltage from the stator I always brought the engine up to 5000rpms.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know this is a bit lat to check the resistance
stator coils you would need a vgood meater
as they are only about half a ohlm.
set mtr to 1 ohms and it should read 00.3
this is from one of the three wires to another
one.
then check each wire to earth there should be no
reading if there is then this is the fault as
the V ac is going to earth.
New coil assebly will be the fix.
P.S. check the wires from the coils to the plug
strip outer of and look for them been burnt to gether had this once before.
hope this is of help john.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts