Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening fellow riders
Having some minor electrical issues with my K5 Gsxr 600 I went to ride it the first time after winter and there were no electrics tested the battery , battery dead replaced with a good quality Yuasa bike then started fine ect.
Took the bike out over this weekend for the first time since due to the bad weather run the south west this was about a month after the battery. Got about two miles from home and the bike lost the dash and died no electrical power once pushing the bike back tested the battery drained right down
Ive heard about faulty rectifiers on these bikes does anyone know where these are fitted on the K5 range ?

kind regards
Mac

·
Premium Member
5,444 Posts
welp, time to inspect charging system, first have battery tested at auto parts, they will test for load, charging capacity and then output..

if it passes time to charge battery then start, at idle test battery at the leads with multimeter, output spec is in the service manual for your bike which is usually round here somewhere.. (14.8 or so)

if this test fails then unplug your R/R and test output from stator, its a 3 phase stator so any lead can be tested per manual, follow service manual procedure and look for values described, if the output fails stator is bad, if it passes then its your regulator, inspect all wiring involved, check connector for burnt wires and connectors, also check for corrosion and poor connection..

replacement of these components are in the service manual

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
14,454 Posts
Check the wiring between the stator and the R/R too. They get corroded and melt down. When you remove the tail cover you'll see the R/R and following the wiring is pretty easy from there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got the rear tail cover off tonight have pulled the plug for the regulator rectifier box all connections look good however testing from earth to what I believe are the stator wires ( 3 yellow wires) with the bike running there is at best 0.5 volts on any given wire and can confirm with it all plugged in the battery voltage remains the same .
I would assume this points towards a fault stator am I right in thinking it’s beneath the left hand engine case ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also done a resistance test between all three stator wires any given wire to the other is around 0.5 ohms however some of that is in the test lead so believe which shows the wiring at least good I did think it could be a rectifier as towards the end of last year it had failed to start and had clicked like the battery was flat when it wasn’t

·
14,454 Posts
I think there's another connector further down the harness near the stator. Check there as well.

·
Premium Member
5,444 Posts
Got the rear tail cover off tonight have pulled the plug for the regulator rectifier box all connections look good however testing from earth to what I believe are the stator wires ( 3 yellow wires) with the bike running there is at best 0.5 volts on any given wire and can confirm with it all plugged in the battery voltage remains the same .
I would assume this points towards a fault stator am I right in thinking it’s beneath the left hand engine case ?

you need like 58 volts at what is it 5400 RPM? on all 3 leads, someone can confirm those numbers, should be close

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bit of an update realised in my tiredness made a bit of a boo boo testing the stator as was thinking last night after resistances checked on then had a prober got ya moment was testing in rectified electricity so was AC not Dc volts so used to testing DC in vehicles retested output tonight at stator each wire had between 15-16 volts on so stator and wiring ( did previous checks all testing 100% I’m going to get a rectifier ordered and I’ll update once it’s fitted

·
14,454 Posts
Testing at the winding leads in AC voltage, 5000 RPM should yield minimum 65VAC. (The full procedure is in FSM 9-9 and 9-10.) If positive, the stator should be reconnected to the harness, and the test should be duplicated at the connector for the R/R.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update fitted the rectifier now got 14 volts once running at idle and it goes up slightly once revving ect so the bike is bow charging which is great I do now have another issue though anytime I go to starter the bike I just get the audible click from the starter relay on rare occasion it will start straight up
The battery is charged and has been replaced
The starter relay is also brand new
Is this down to the starter itself / solenoid
The dash runs and lights ect clutch switch ect working fine as doesn’t attempt to start without them being pressed but just clicks once button pressed on right sequence

·
14,454 Posts
Don't forget the starter button in the right switch pod was a sore spot with this model. I'd test that switch first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bypassed the relay with a screwdriver if you bridge the two main contacts still doesn’t turn over think the starter motor has given in the ghost will get one ordered up for it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts