Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm adapting a hybrid Bandit 1200 / Katana 1100 / GSXR 750 motor into my '88 GSXR 750 frame, and have 2 questions:

1. How the f*** do you get this (mostly Bandit)motor into the frame? I've been wrestling with it for 2 days now and it ALMOST fits. Any suggestions? back it in? sideways? from the bottom? GRRR (the dremel is close to coming out! Don't make me do it!)

2. Anyone ever use another black box? Someone told me an old Katana 600 box would work, and has an 1100 rpm redline. I have not had much luck locating a GSXR 1100 box, nor a Katana 1100 one.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
Having had the 1100 engine in and out of my 88 7-11 about 6 times since Oct of 89 I think that the easiest way for me is to pull off all the acc (even the alt and starter) carbs, and the vent cover off the valvecover and the motor mounts. Then with the RH cradle removed I tape the LH side of the frame to prevent sctatches and with the engine at an angle (tilted to the right) on a floor jack slide it in alittle shift it alttle slidein shift slide untill it slips over the LH framerail. Then I raise it into place and put the motor mounts on. There may be an easier way but this works best for me.
Bones

Also don't use your Dremel a Hammer works better!

I may have a 91 1100 control box in the basement, I'll look in the morning. If I have one you can have it as long as you pay the frt.

[ 04-10-2002, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Bones_GSXR ]

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bones, you're my hero. Thanks for the tips, and for looking for that control box. I've been hunting for a while now, and was getting pretty frustrated.

By the way, seize the night is my motto too ... it's 1:10 here right now. And snowing, darn it.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
The Katana 600 box will work, though the curve is quite dull. Essentially, just about anything will plug and play. Jam in a 750 box - it'll work just fine. Just remember the rev limiter wouldn't be of much help
. Once you do find a decent black box, hang onto your 600 one - it makes a great emergency spare if your good ones shits itself.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you say a 600 black box will work, what year black boxes from the 600? Is there a cutoff, or any year?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And for that matter, what is the rev limiter on a 600?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts