Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Gixxer lovers, I want to send sincerest thanks for the help concerning the clutch problems. Thanks to Dewayne at Cycle Concepts, Lancaster, SC. My pain in the neck clutch problem turned into a dry rotted fluid line. So before you spend money or start taking things apart check the simplest or “it couldn’t be that” things first. Food for thought people! Does any one know of any websites, or have information on any after-market modifications that could replace the seats, the under tray area, and the rear/side cowls on a 1989 GSXR 1100 with seats, tray and cowls from 1999-2002 GSXR 750/1000. The bottom line, I want my 89 to look like a 1999-2002 from the side and behind.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I've thought about doing that *exact* mod on my `89 1100... it looks to me like the way to go about it is to get a subframe from the donor-year/model and just cut the old one off and weld the new one in. Maybe I'll add that to my "It's-winter-and-it's-snowing-and-I'm-bored to-do list". For now, it's *way* more trouble than I think it's worth.

9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response FastCat, if I see, or find anything I will provide you that info. I'm sure it can be done, and I would love to accomplish it successfully from the lessons of someone that has been there. Also, thank you for your input on the Clutch problem.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I slapped a TL1000R tail from SharkSkinz on my bike, it was a direct swap, with only minimal dremeling on the tail peice took about 2 hours and it was on, easire that switching subframes.
-Karl

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have done some mods to my 88,

Don't have any real currnet pictures, but there are some on my web site

www.geocities.com/superbike00

I had the RGV tall and 99 upper on it as you can see from the pictures, but I changed my mind and now It has a 2001 uppper with gauges, and a 2001 CBR600F4i Tail. Had to chop my rear sub frame off and weld the cbr one to it.

Will post pict soon.

David

·
Registered
156 Posts
On my 88 i put a 96-99 solo race tail ... I bought the tail from airtech, made a seat support out of aluminum and strapped it to the subframe, then just slide the tail on ...matched up perfect. Then just got the stock brake light and mounted it under the tail to mold with the the undertail .... if you buy the tail ..make sure its for the 93 -up gixxers ..its longer than the stock 96-up tails ... ... and i used a Foam padding for my seat ...gave that serious racer look ....

9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey everyone, thank you for all of the input. Does anyone have any step-by- step and photos on hand of how they completed their modifications? David (Superbike00), How did you get the 99 upper on your bike and did you have any problems mounting it. Is my 89 GSXR 1100 basically the same as your 88 as far as the mounting of the upper fairing? Your bike looks really good, I would really like to see the finished product. Ricks750, sounds like you want to hit the track bad. Do you have any photos? KJ1, I really like the idea of the TL1000R rear tail, please tell me you have photos, step-by-steps and maybe even cost. I like the idea off the 99 upper and the TL1000R tail.

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts
I am planing on switching to a 01 tail on my 88 Streetfighter and I am cutting the 88 subframe and welding the subframe from the 01 on. I am going to use a SharkSkins tail with the R6 style LED taillights.
I to like the TLR tail (I have a fetish for Duck Butts)
For the front end I would buy a race mount for the 99 and just fab where it mounts the steering head. The lower breckets should not be to hard to fab up.
Bones

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Yep heres a few pics(before I got my new forks and swingarm, the upper in the pics is just mocked up, but the tail is ready to go)
pic 1 from the side

pic two from the back

easy, no chopping on the subframe, I just trimmed the seat up front where it ran along th erail of the sub frame, and I trimmed the piece a tiny bit to use my stock 1100 seat. The it was just a matter fo drilling it in a few out of sight places and mounting it.
-Karl
pic 3

1 - 9 of 9 Posts