Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yes it works, like I said in my previous post, I hear More induction noise... with ear plugs fitted, its Sensation...... and it cuts wind and exhaust noise down heaps at the same time......

Sounds like a crazy theory, but works a treat... :smile:

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Haven't tried this brand. I might check it first before I decide if I'm going to buy custom earplugs or not. Thanks!
They come in different sizes. Small investment to buy one of each size to try. These are comfy and stays in place due to the configuration. And the ones you don't use comes in handy when you have a pillion that does not have ear plugs.

Yes, I wear mine all the time. And no, they do not block out traffic noise. And yes, most of the damage done to the ears are from the wind. Some helmet do a better job than others. Most don't do a darn thing at all. Wear plugs. End of public service announcement.

Believe it or not, some states will not allow you to wear ear plugs, so you may want to check...but we are Rebels at heart, so I wear mine no matter what the law says.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use a set of Vibes ear plugs, they are $20-$25. Basically they block out the high frequency high amplitude sound from things like wind noise, but allow you to still hear conversations, and most importantly induction noise. I also notice that I am much more aware of traffic around me with these than with the foam plugs, but any plug is better than none. Cars have loads of sound deadening, yet we can still hear traffic. Put a little of that deadening in your helmet and you will be able to ride longer and more safely.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Nobody has mentioned balance yet... Am I the only one who finds that blocking their ears seems to affect this sense?

I really feel that after 30 years of riding, I really should wear ear protection before it's too late, but I just feel unsteady on the bike with my ears plugged.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Nobody has mentioned balance yet... Am I the only one who finds that blocking their ears seems to affect this sense?

I really feel that after 30 years of riding, I really should wear ear protection before it's too late, but I just feel unsteady on the bike with my ears plugged.
Landed on my neck in gymnastics, beaned too many times in the head in boxing and waaay too many arms bars in MMA. In a constant state of post concussion syndrome with an inner ear problem. At times, it feels like I am walking around in a bubble. But riding is just too important to me to give up.

Your brain and your eyes will learn to adjust. Just take it slow at first and you will get use to it. Some folks are just more sensitive to have an ear plug stuffed into the outer ear and it effects the balance. I can't wear sealed head phones (music) because it makes me dizzy but the open ones are fine. Can not talk on the phone with a headset plugged into both ears but only one ear is fine for me.

Take it slow and easy at first. You should adjust eventually. If not, check on a quieter helmet. That makes a difference also. I have 4 helmets and they are not nearly the same in sound dampening.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This past year I have started noticing that wind starts bothering me after 20-30 minutes and my ears feel like they have fluid in them. I even went to the Dr. I figured I'm just getting old and crotchety. After reading this post, I suppose I'll buy some earplugs. I was worried about not being to hear cars and traffic. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would have to go back into my purchase history to find the brand, but earlier this year I went on amazon and bought a two pack of reusable ear plugs that are technically meant for concerts. They are silicone (I think) and have a tube in the middle that allows you to still hear noises really well (especially if you listen to music or comms). While it doesn't stop all the wind noise, it does a fairly good job, and for the price it was one of the best purchases I ever made. Even came with a little container for them. They almost work too well sometimes because for rides to the gym I am too lazy to put in the plugs every time and the Sena practically blows me away if I forget to adjust the volume lower than the plug in volume

·
Registered
88 Posts

I was born right around your join date, so maybe it doesn't affect me as much (no offense) but I've never once felt like that. I literally can't ride without them. After 30 minutes without plugs I'm ready to cut my wrists.

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,529 Posts

Oh, wtf. Earplugs don't affect your balance. The fluid in your inner ear is independent of loud noises. Stop being a bitch/moron.

·
Administrator
13,383 Posts
Been riding now for well over 20 years ... can’t imagine not riding without ear protection.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I would have to go back into my purchase history to find the brand, but earlier this year I went on amazon and bought a two pack of reusable ear plugs that are technically meant for concerts. They are silicone (I think) and have a tube in the middle that allows you to still hear noises really well (especially if you listen to music or comms). While it doesn't stop all the wind noise, it does a fairly good job, and for the price it was one of the best purchases I ever made. Even came with a little container for them. They almost work too well sometimes because for rides to the gym I am too lazy to put in the plugs every time and the Sena practically blows me away if I forget to adjust the volume lower than the plug in volume
I had mentioned the EP7s but really any of the EP series will work.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1591323090?pid=323090

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you guys wear earplugs because I know a lot of people who don't?
I do wear earplugs. It's funny because I've been using Big Ear's custom earplugs for about 2 years now and this is the first time that I knew they had a YouTube channel. This one's what I wear. It's exactly the same as mine.

How was your experience with wearing earplugs?

Personally, I really need to wear earplugs not just when I'm riding my bike but even for a lot of other situations because I've been diagnosed with Hyperacusis(noise sensitivity). My experience wearing earplugs has been okay. It helps a lot when it comes to my condition but I have to consider a lot of things too, like cleaning the earplugs and also removing wax from my ears regularly to avoid ear infection.

Are these custom earplugs worth spending for?

In my opinion, yes, they are worth spending for. Quite pricey but they are comfortable, washable and durable. People spend for a lot of things that literally destroys the body(booze, cigarettes, etc.)...why not spend for things that may help you live your life normally?

https://www.bigearinc.com/the-best-motorcycle-ear-plugs-and-how-to-choose/

21 - 34 of 34 Posts