Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eagle,
I mounted a set of 320mm wave rotors (for a '03 gixxer) on my '05. WHile I was trying to figure out what to use or where to have made some 5mm spacers I tried mounting the calipers. And they mounted right up.. WHy looking at the wear on the rotors and the clearance as the rotors pass through the caliper I dont think I will have any problems. Why did you decide to keep the spacers? Am I asking for trouble? I've ridden with no problems so far...

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
If you mounted a set of rotors off a 03 or for a 03 they are not 320 but 300mm which in terms will give you plenty of clearance...If in fact if they are 320 it has to be to close for comfort and id be very careful....The reason for the spacing is to put caliper back to a factory spec with the use of a 310 to a 320..

If those rotors are 300 your not using all the pad and the rotor is riding hafe way on the pad.Either way be careful and watch it close...From the pic it looks like a 300mm on there

If it was me make sure its a 320 and make it close to factory spec as possible.

This is a 320 look how much rounder it appears..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm ok eagle thanks man I think I misunderstood I will go check out the box and go from there!! thank yoU!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eagle I appreciate the replies. I think I was mistaken in thinking that '03 suzukis came stock with 320mm rotors. Im not sure where I got that from now that I think back..

The brakes seem to be functioning great as they are.. However I am going to watch them carefully.

Thank you.

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
hey sic.. from the wear on the rotor already it looks like your missing about 5-10 mm's of braking potential.. meaning not all of your pad is grabbing the rotor so your certainly not improving your braking power over stock. where that might be fine for the starbucks effect, it certainly wont help anything.. if your going to stick with those rotors you may want to think about machining off some of the caliper itself so your taking advantage of what those rotors can do for you rather than just have them look cool.

·
Registered
479 Posts
hey sic.. from the wear on the rotor already it looks like your missing about 5-10 mm's of braking potential.. meaning not all of your pad is grabbing the rotor so your certainly not improving your braking power over stock. where that might be fine for the starbucks effect, it certainly wont help anything.. if your going to stick with those rotors you may want to think about machining off some of the caliper itself so your taking advantage of what those rotors can do for you rather than just have them look cool.
or instead of machining the caliper, sell those and buy the correct size! just a thought

what size is stock on the K5???

K1-K2 = 320mm
K3-K4 = 300mm

K5 = ??? thanks!

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
eBay em..................get the 320mm and put the spacer in.

Don't shoot yourself in the foot from the get-go.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im just going to give them to my dad with the 03 and get a set of 320mm.

thanks guys!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your help guys. WHat a mess. Oh well my father with the 03 was planning on getting a pair anyway so he just got a slightly used pair. no big deal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts