Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what’s the big deal here? Can't anybody develop a simple and accurate way of determining horsepower? I have read horsepower figures of the K5 ranging from 140 all the way up to 180. What's up with that?
Even after riding my K5 for months now, I can't tell what power it makes with a straight face. Suzuki will tell you it makes 180HP but that's bullish. Even more perplexing is the fact that nobody knows accurately what their bike weighs. I have three mags in front of me and they all have different numbers after independent weight measurements and HP dynos.
How can we accurately say that the Busa for instance is not quicker because of aerodynamics instead of its horsepower advantage over the ZX 12? No more dyno numbers please!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Dude I have yet to see Suzuki claim 180hp?

Sport Rider did their shoot out K5 162hp. That is as close to a real HP numbers your goin to get. Lee & KWS have dynoed stock K5's all with 162 to 165. It really doesn't matter it's the fastest arm ripping eye blurring STOCK bike that we all have ever been on. Nuff Said.

·
Premium Member
73,386 Posts
ok, first off, they are called dynomometers, not dynometers.

second, the 180hp that suzuki claims is hp at the crankshaft, not the wheels. wheel hp is always going to be less due to drivetrain losses.

third, all bikes will produce different hp ratings on different types of dynos on different days due to many factors, such as temperature.

dynos are a great way to tune your bike, and an especially great way to see if any mods that you do actually helped or not. the overall peak hp number is less important than the spread of the hp (called a powerband).

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Suzuki claimed 174 hp at the update seminar. He doesnt mention at wheel or crank, except that their way of getting those numbers are from ram air in effect. And that he goes on about all the bullshit numbers people put out, because their not getting true hp readings, since the engine was designed with the ram air.

Bottom line though. Ur going to see a vast range of hp figures. For one, u can go buy 2 brand new 05's. start um up, warm them up, and do some runs, they aint going to be the same, and could be way off from one another. It goes to how was the bike broke in, or how about when the bike was made, did u get the bike made mid week, or the one made on friday, when the guys just wanted to get off work and go get drunk? lots of dyno places will print their graphs in STD HP, and not S.A.E. HP. S.A.E. is supposed to be corrected values for every dyno to use (off top of my head i think is 0ft 68 degrees) This way a guy in colorado can get a graph thats comparable to the guy in Flordia. Though most people dont u this, they just give u the highest number they can.

Or how about when people do "all gears" graph, and then take what the max hp was just after the shift and they get a shift spike on the graph (comes from poor shiften on the dyno)

A dyno is designed to help tune ur bike, give u the proper air/fuel ratio to run its best. One other thing people never look at, is the time u gain on maken and holden your hp. U can do mods where u see hardly zero max hp gains. But then u look more closely and u can find that u gained a shorter time in maken ur hp, and a longer time in holden it. IE. A bike makes 150. U do a slip on, tre, and maybe something else. U get 151 from it. But now, ur bike get to 151 in 2 seconds instead of three, and holds it for 1,500 more rpm.

But who really cares about if u got 150 or 160. We ride the fastests bikes in the world that u can go out on any day and buy for 10,000.

D

·
Banned
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
true, but my point is that can't the manufacturers come up with a simple method of measuring weights and HP figures? Honestly, am not certain the K5 beats the ninja. I think rossi on stock R1 will beat anyone (inlcuding sete) on stock k5.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Who really cares???????? You think that knowing the exact hp of a bike will make you go faster?????
Thank you for saying that!!!!! No shit people...It's just a bragging point but if you want to prove your bike is faster than get out there and ride the damn thing on a track against the zx-10 and r1's....The dyno is a TUNING DEVICE!!!!!!!! Even if the HP was 200mph it's still up to the rider to figure out how to put it to the ground and get the fastest times .

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
He wants to brag to every body that his bike is the fastest lightest bike around, but never races it. He is the guy that sits downtown talking up how fast he is, but never races.
If you want to know how much your bike weighs put it on a scale. If you want to know how much hp it has put it on a dyno and ask the dyno operator what other bikes have dynoed and with what mods to see how it compares to a R1, ZX10 or CBR 1000.
Ultimatly it doesn't matter how much hp you have if you don't know how to use it. I mainly drag race. At the local track here you will see guys running bone stock gsxr 1000's any where from a 10.3 to a 11.3 depending on skill. I have personally seen a 300hp turbo busa run 11's. The guy got happy because he got his best time ever that night of a 10.4.
On a road race track it is all rider also. I have seen guys on stock 600's just work guys on gsxr 1000's around the track.
It is cool to see what others can do, but that doesn't mean shit about what YOU can do. Even if you have the lightest fastest bike YOU will still get smoked if you can't ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.