Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would drop Dynojet an email, I dont see why they would'nt be able to give you the default settings for your bike. I'm almost positive they'll have one for almost your exact setup (pipe, filters, altitude, ect...) I called them when I moved from California to Colorado. Not only did they tell me which mains to run, but thet also sent me a set of needles for the altitude along with telling me which groove to use and pilot screw settings.

Good luck!
Dave

[ 06-22-2002, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Tornado-rider ]

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Thanks for the advice Dave.
I'll do that and let you know if they are decent here in the U.K.

Thanks for the response

Andy

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Those may or may not be DJ needles... looks like the top two are worn pretty badly from "hanging up" in the piston... Those are *not* the needles that Factory Pro provides in their kit for the K model, and they are definitely not U.S.-spec OEM needles. THere should be some letters and numbers etched in the top of them if they are mikuni parts.

Keep in mind with the DJ stuff, that DJ uses their own "style" of jets and emulsion tubes... any info about tuning DJ kits doesn't translate into non-DJ parts, and vice-versa. I've got the details of my tuning of the Factory Pro kit on 36mm mikunis for my K model HERE.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have just taken the needles out to give my carbs a good clean out after no use during the long winter and it wasn't running well at slow speeds.

The needles were slightly corroded and are now polished and like new.

All is well and the slow speed problem has gone away.

Anyway, it's an 1100K with 144 mains and the circlip in slot 4 from the top, with washers on top and a full race exhaust system and dual K&N filters.

All seems fine however, are these Dynojet needles and has anyone else got any info on what they are running on an 1100K with 36mm carbs

Andy

[ 06-22-2002, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Andy James ]

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Thanks Fastcat, I think it's time for a new kit and a dyno setup for me.
I'm only running 144's and those worn needles.

I'll balance he carbs later today to make sure everythings ok before I look at Dyno time I reckon.

Mine wheelies in 1st but in second it doesn't come up as easily unless I'm at full throttle 'on a mission' type stuff

Andy

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by Andy James:
Thanks Fastcat, I think it's time for a new kit and a dyno setup for me.
I'm only running 144's and those worn needles.

I'll balance he carbs later today to make sure everythings ok before I look at Dyno time I reckon.

Mine wheelies in 1st but in second it doesn't come up as easily unless I'm at full throttle 'on a mission' type stuff

Andy
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">DJ #144 mains are not the same as Mikuni #144 mains... Dynojet uses their own style for main jets, and the kit for the K model also uses emulsion-tubes from dynojet that are different than the Mikuni emulsion tubes. Be *sure* to replace the emulsion tubes with OEM stuff if you go with a Factory Pro kit... FP says that their kit WILL NOT WORK with the DJ emulsion tubes installed.

When I did mine, I had one needle that was worn, and the slide, slide guides, and emulsion tube were all wasted in that carb(#3) too. I replaced the worn-out stuff when I put the jet kit in, and it was pretty easy to tune on the dyno... the dyno-dude was surprised. He kept tellin' me how it's impossible to get the CV carbs to work right with the airbox gone. I *assume* it's because he's tuned a lotta customers' carbs with brand-new jet-kits and worn-out innards.

Interesting side note: last weekend, mine had developed a "miss" and was just generally running like shit... turned out to be a combination of things. The biggest culprit was the connections from the coils to the high-tension leads; the copper inside the wires had receded back into the insulation and was not making contact with the terminal inside the coils. I replaced the spark-plug connectors as well as the wires, and it's all working like it should again. It took me a few days to sort it all out, at first thought that there was something amiss in the carbs, and sure enough, there was.

I had a *broken* spring inside one of my carbs (#3 again). I replaced the spring and it didn't fix my "miss" and that's how I ended up tracking down the coil-wire problem. I just thought it was really odd that the spring in the slide would break like that... only thing I can figure is that the CV carbs must *really* have a lot of stresses on them on the 1127 motors. I've never heard of one of those springs breaking before.

{edit}
BTW:
the stuff that comes in the Factory Pro kit is all Mikuni parts... the supplied needles are #0985h-68t.2_std and they suggest #0985h-72t.2 for leaner 5K to 7K and #0985h-64t.2 for richer 5K to 7K. The pilot fuel jet is #32.5, and they give ya a #147.5 and #152.5 Main jet(I used the supplied needles but had to go to a larger main). The FP kit doesn't require any drilling of the slides, but they do suggest using epoxy to cover one of the vent-holes in the slides(I did this). They also include allen-head fasteners (5x12mm) for the float-bowls and top covers... it makes changing main-jets and needle-position *tons* easier with the carbs on the bike.

[ 06-23-2002, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: FastCat ]

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
You know far too much........... Is this your job too?
I have no problems now I've cleaned it all out and given that I had a 'chat' with a friend of mine who weighs only around 140lbs and rides an 1100WT with a dynoed 146rwbhp and he explained that his doesn't seem any faster than my old 1989 thing, surely this means that everything is fine really. I did see your note previously regarding the broken spring and had expected something similar ut it wasn't to be. I guess that the clean out, (and carb body polishing of course) did the trick to clear the problem at low speeds.
I took it out for another run last night and it rode like a dream maybe I just need to lose a little weight to get those wheelies of the throttle in 2nd !! but then my leathers won't fit and Michelle likes me as I am so maybe I will look for little crests and will use a dab of clutch when I'm bored !
Thanks again for the help I appreciate it, it's good to know that there is someone out there with the same bike and 'tons' of knowledge.

Andy

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
ROFL...

I dunno that "tons of knowledge" is an accurate characterization... more like "perfectionist who likes to tinker with things, and has made a lot of mistakes and shot herself in the foot many times.". ...and mine still baffles me sometimes too... I had all that weird stuff goin' on with the coils and it finally turned out to be a dead coil. So I have replaced it, and all of a sudden I find myself having to re-tune the carbs. I had to go leaner on the needles by 1 full clip position. This makes no sense to me whatsoever... I could understand it if it was a small idle-screw setting-change, hell, I have to fiddle with those whenever I go up over 4,000 ft in the mountains. But to my way of thinking, if I had a "weak" coil, then replacing that should have required to go richer on the carbs (if anything). {shrug} it's running good, and I'm happy about it - just confused. It *could* be that all those new bits that I put in with the carb kit are finally getting worn, (it's been about 5K miles) and the fact that a coil failed at the same time was just a coincidental thing. I'm headed back to the Dyno again (the shop down the street just got a new one with the CO-analyzer software) whenever it stops raining... maybe the shop-guru dude can shed some light on the "why" of this for me.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by davenay67:
Hey Fastcat,

In the picture of the broken spring, I could be mistaken here, but it looks like the bottom of the black plastic slide is a bit ragged looking. Did this also get replaced along with the broken spring..??

Andy, do you get out to Devils Bridge much, or is the Cat and Fiddle close to your normal runs..??

Dave..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Those slides(all four), the slide-guides, and the emulsion-tubes are all new along with the jet-kit 5,000 miles ago.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I guess it must be the angle of the photo..
Either that or my medication isn't working.

I'm in the middle of carb stripdown and rebuilds myself, definitely not the best way to pass time..!!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hey Fastcat,

In the picture of the broken spring, I could be mistaken here, but it looks like the bottom of the black plastic slide is a bit ragged looking. Did this also get replaced along with the broken spring..??

Andy, do you get out to Devils Bridge much, or is the Cat and Fiddle close to your normal runs..??

Dave..

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Dave:
are you from over here? How do you know of these places.

Yes I do go to the cat and fiddle sometimes but mostly travel into North Wales, I live right on the North border. We have excellent roads around here and not too much traffic.

Fastcat:
you have too much 'spare time'
Thanks for the advice and the 'knowledge' too.
Lucky for me that you have the attitude to tinker and let everyone know, it's helped me a lot.

suppose I'll have to get this thing on a dyno soon, especially as it's hitting the rev limiter in top gear with 230lbs of me on it ! (it's one tooth down on the front sprocket).

Andy

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hey Andy,

Yeah, I'm originally from Blackpool. Moved over to here (LA) 5 years ago. I used to ride every weekend (and I mean every weekend, regardless of rain, mud, etc) with my best buddy. We'd normally do Devils Bridge and then further afield into the Lake District along a huge network of quiet (aka scuffer and doddery-Sunday-driver free) roads.

Occasionally we'd do Matlock Bath via the Cat & Fiddle. He has a 1200 Bandit and I had a 900 Trident back then. Definitely NOT C&F type machines..!!

We never did North Wales, but I know the roads there are just fantastic. Also, I still have a good buddy who actually lives in Chester.

You may have crap weather, but Gods own roads to ride on. Don't get me wrong, we have some great roads close by (Rock Store, Los Angeles Crest highway, Lake Elsinore), but I'd take UK roads in an instant..!! Traffic is freakin' nuts over here.
LA drivers

Dave....

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
did you move there for the sun?

You lucky swine !!!!

Must admit that I've been to USA a few times and to the West coast too...liked it but it was nice to come home where everything is so close.

Andy

[ 06-28-2002, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Andy James ]

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
mikuni and keihin jet sizes are the jet orifice diameters in hundredths of a millimeter.....so a 144 mikuni or keihin main jet has a hole that's 1.44mm in diameter.

dynojet uses a different system, but i've never gotten solid info on what that was (i've heard possibly flow rate).

·
Registered
553 Posts
Andy,

I moved because I was in a groove (doing the same old thing) and decided I needed a change of scenery..!!

Came over here originally for a work placement. Now I'm married and have a baby boy due in 2 months time, so I guess I'm rooted here for good now.

It is great over here, I especially love the beach in summer. But, I always get so very excited when I get a chance to get back over to Britain and visit my old stomping grounds with my buddies. Like they say, no place like home..

Drop a line if you are going to be out here on the west coast in the future....

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Glad it's all worked out for you over there mate.

enjoy the beach and I will enjoy the roads here for you.

When I was across there in San Diego, business trip, I went for a visit to Tijuana.......scarey place !!!!

Andy

[ 06-29-2002, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Andy James ]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts