Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my bike dynoed a few days ago at a local dyno place here in Perth. The bike has 1200 kilometres on the clock and the final reading was 148 at the rear wheel and 76 ft lbs of torque.... this is the most accurate dyno around and is a REAL HP figure for this bike... The same bloke ran a zx-10 a few days ago and it also put out 148 and an 05 r1 put out 146...

anyone posting 165 hp for this bike has been using a dyno that is very optimistic! thats called a dyno ego massage. ill let you know the new numbers as soon as i get the pipe and remapping done.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the r1 and the zx10 were as bone stock as mine... i just spoke with the dyno bloke and he just ran another k5 gixxer 1000 with a slip on pipe and remapping (no pc) and it had 158 hp at the rear wheel... the slip on is a roo racing one which in my opinion is the best slip on for the money... very free flowing and the biggest gains (check http://www.mcnews.com.au/ and look at reviews/products for an exhaust comparo they did in 2002). Im getting my roo pipe tomorrow and will have it dynoed this weekend. will post results soon.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats because manufacturers and magazines use a different type of dyno that gives out very optimistic numbers... im no dyno expert but according to the racers around here- the dyno i had mine done on is the most accurate (it isnt used for massaging egos)...

·
Registered
85 Posts
are you serious 10hp out of a slip on. It just sounds like you have one that was built on a friday.

·
Registered
493 Posts
i never did believe the hype figures

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
I had my bike dynoed a few days ago at a local dyno place here in Perth. The bike has 1200 kilometres on the clock and the final reading was 148 at the rear wheel and 76 ft lbs of torque.... this is the most accurate dyno around and is a REAL HP figure for this bike... The same bloke ran a zx-10 a few days ago and it also put out 148 and an 05 r1 put out 146...

anyone posting 165 hp for this bike has been using a dyno that is very optimistic! thats called a dyno ego massage. ill let you know the new numbers as soon as i get the pipe and remapping done.
Well I'm sorry to break the news to you but that dyno and your test run means absolutely nothing compared to any other dyno or test. Your numbers don't mean anything other than what is important to your bike and the ability to gauge your bikes progress. Not much value in trying to compare tests and dyno machines or telling us that the K5 isn't putting out the factory spec engine power, which it is. You aren't going to convince anyone anything with regard to the actual horsepower produced from any other bike except yours. So congratulations on a 148 hp rear tire run.

Inertia dyno's are set up to put loads on the rear tire and every inertia dyno of a different make that measures horsepower at the tire is going to put different loads and the sensors and software are going to interpret different results. Even dyno machines of the same make can run different numbers from set up to set up, test versus test, operator versus operator and bike versus bike. Variables is the key word to remember. How the power is translated from the bike to the machine and the correction factors that apply will produce a particular result. It is absurd to take your test results and claim that it is the standard by which all others are to be judged. Simply ridiculous for anyone to even try.

The K5 GSX-R 1000 is currently producing approximately 175.5 hp at the crank despite what any Inertia Dyno test tells you, the losses from inertia dyno tests can vary greatly depending on each test. Go test your engine on an engine dynamometer instead of a chassis dynamometer and then we will have something worth talking about otherwise your simply fighting a loosing battle.

·
Registered
167 Posts
those crank rated horsepower figures are also done using sea level atmosphere as the base which does make a difference in horespower due to the oxygen content

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
Whilst I agree that some dynos read high and some are just bullshit.
My K4 stock was 147SAE.
PC3 Micron can and custom map it got 153.
Let me tell you I don`t need a dyno to tell me that this bike has got a shit load more than my K4.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Well I'm sorry to break the news to you but that dyno and your test run means absolutely nothing compared to any other dyno or test. Your numbers don't mean anything other than what is important to your bike and the ability to gauge your bikes progress. Not much value in trying to compare tests and dyno machines or telling us that the K5 isn't putting out the factory spec engine power, which it is. You aren't going to convince anyone anything with regard to the actual horsepower produced from any other bike except yours. So congratulations on a 148 hp rear tire run.

Inertia dyno's are set up to put loads on the rear tire and every inertia dyno of a different make that measures horsepower at the tire is going to put different loads and the sensors and software are going to interpret different results. Even dyno machines of the same make can run different numbers from set up to set up, test versus test, operator versus operator and bike versus bike. Variables is the key word to remember. How the power is translated from the bike to the machine and the correction factors that apply will produce a particular result. It is absurd to take your test results and claim that it is the standard by which all others are to be judged. Simply ridiculous for anyone to even try.

The K5 GSX-R 1000 is currently producing approximately 175.5 hp at the crank despite what any Inertia Dyno test tells you, the losses from inertia dyno tests can vary greatly depending on each test. Go test your engine on an engine dynamometer instead of a chassis dynamometer and then we will have something worth talking about otherwise your simply fighting a loosing battle.
Aer you the dyno police? Have you put the engine on a dyno? If not, how do you know it is putting out 175.5 hp? Because Suzuki says so
. Even if the K5's are putting out the advertised hp, do you think every engine puts out the same amount of hp?
You're right about not being able to compare dyno runs unless they are back to back. But don't jump all over someone just because they tell about a K5 not putting out amazing, never before imagined amounts of hp.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I tried to say this very same thing about a week ago...Didn't go very well...lmao

They will believe what the Hype is, because Fiction sounds and looks better then the truth...I do not dispute the fact that the GSXR is putting out more HP then the 04, but its not the claimed 20+ (160-165 HP) that some would have you to believe....the current 05s are kicking out 5 more HP then my 04 did (Stock) this is frm the same Dyno that I have used several times...Also, people say that you can't compare Dyno runs unless they are back to back....I've been to the Dyno about 8 or 9 times with my 01 and 04. My buddy usually go's with me. every time I've put my bike on the Dyno, it has made within 1 - 2 HP of the previous reading and within .1 to .2 in Torque....

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
I tried to say this very same thing about a week ago...Didn't go very well...lmao

They will believe what the Hype is, because Fiction sounds and looks better then the truth...I do not dispute the fact that the GSXR is putting out more HP then the 04, but its not the claimed 20+ (160-165 HP) that some would have you to believe....the current 05s are kicking out 5 more HP then my 04 did (Stock) this is frm the same Dyno that I have used several times...Also, people say that you can't compare Dyno runs unless they are back to back....I've been to the Dyno about 8 or 9 times with my 01 and 04. My buddy usually go's with me. every time I've put my bike on the Dyno, it has made within 1 - 2 HP of the previous reading and within .1 to .2 in Torque....
You claim your bike is making 165hp--and thats with cams and such, right? The new K5 already has these aggressive items along with dual injectors, bigger bore, etc. Anyone who can't see that is just blind that the k1-k4 were handicapped to begin with and the k5 model takes away that handicap.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
When i attended the last update seminar suzuki said that they use ram air when they get their dyno numbers. They put the engine on a dyno and force air into it (dont really know how) NO ONE is getting a true reading. Ram air has a big effect in the engine maken its power. It may be low on the dyno, but when u got some 100+ mph winds being forced into the engine, things change.

D

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
When i attended the last update seminar suzuki said that they use ram air when they get their dyno numbers. They put the engine on a dyno and force air into it (dont really know how) NO ONE is getting a true reading. Ram air has a big effect in the engine maken its power. It may be low on the dyno, but when u got some 100+ mph winds being forced into the engine, things change.

D
Had no idea they included RAM. I would have to hear it from the horses mouth to be sure but interesting information.

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts

K4 HP.... 161.5
K5 HP.... 175.5

+14 HP at the crank not the rear tire.

Easy numbers to remember, write them down so you don't forget. Whatever a chassis dyno tells you is after the numbers posted above. The loses from a chassis dyno can't be compared to the crank numbers, two different forms of dyno testing.

·
Registered
382 Posts
how do you know it is putting out 175.5 hp? Because Suzuki says so
Ju espect me to beleve that Omar was a stoolie cuz Sosa said so?

Sorry man, couldn't resist. That just reminded me of the ole Scarface line

1 - 20 of 30 Posts