Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In stripping my 90 GSXR750 I found a set of grey 2.2 ohm Dyna coils mounted up in there.

They seemed to work fine last year (when I did not know they were in there), are they actually the correct set for this 750?

Thanks for your time, Mark

------------------
1990 GSXR750, reasonably modded

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
no, they should be green 3 ohm ones.

theoretically, running coils that are of a resistance much lower than what the ignition was designed for, could cause weird ignition problems, or possibly blow your ignition fuse or ecu....although you'd probably have to go a bit lower than 2.2 for that worst case scenario to happen...

------------------

[This message has been edited by jeff (edited 06-04-2001).]

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I should not use them then, as I could easily be close to damaging some other/expensive parts?

Shame, as they are already around, and it seemed to run fine last year with them.

I wonder what bikes the 2.2ohm coils are for?

------------------

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
well, if you've been running them for the past year with no problems, it's not so bad, but i wonder if it could cause long-term damage.....i wouldn't be able to give you an answer on that.

but personally, i wouldn't feel too comfortable with those 2.2 ohm coils, because the ignition was designed to use 3 ohm coils.

------------------

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeff, thanks for the excellent advice, you really do know your stuff.

Dyna did return my email though, and they said that the grey DC4-1 2.2 ohm coil is compatible with the ignition in my 90/91.

So for all others out there with Dyna coil questions about a 90/91/US92, go ahead and choose either the grey 2.2 or the green 3.0.

Mark

Mark

------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts