Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with these, and can recommend either?

Have a line on a used Powerpack, but I wonder if the Dyna 2000 is better.

Mark, dreaming of upgrades...

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
my experience with the power pak wasn't a particularly good one.....i had condensation problems several times with mine, causing the ignition to die completely.

the first time this happened i didn't realize that condensation was the cause, and it was sent back to vance & hines. by the time it arrived i guess the condensation dried so when they tested it, it was working fine. they told me nothing was wrong with it and sent it back. (interestingly enough, when i opened it up, they had put quite a bit of silicone goop over most of the circuit board.....hmmmmmmmm.....)

after a while, the power pak died on me again. this time, i opened it up and there was water inside. i hadn't ridden in any rain (not this time, anyway - funny thing is, i'd ridden the bike through downpours before and the power pak had been fine), but i finally guessed that water vapor had gotten inside and condensed when the temps fell overnight.

the power pak itself is well sealed - there's an o-ring around the lip of the box under the front cover - but the issue isn't water splashing on it and getting inside, but rather moisture getting inside and then condensing. the electronics seem particularly sensitive to moisture compared to, say, the stock suzuki ecu, which isn't as nearly well sealed, but i've never had a single problem with the suzuki one....

at any rate, bottom line was, i got better throttle response and much greater reliability with the stock ecu and a +5 ignition advancer (keep in mind this was an 87 750).

i've read somewhere that vance & hines knew about this condensation issue, but i've also heard other people not having any problems at all (the conditions probably weren't 'right' for it to happen in their case), so your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
As usal Jeff is a veritable fountain of knowledge, I would avoid all V&H products, I have never heard anything good about them accpect once when a squid with a 916 told me how much he liked his V&H pipes on his duck, he then wanted to drag my 1127, but that is a differnt story.
Me personally, I would try to find a race bike kit black box or go with the Dyna model
Karl

·
Banned
982 Posts
Dyna 2000 with 4000 trigger...I dont know why,but I bought it anyway!!!

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Ditto - though only second hand on my part: have heard lots of BAD stories about V&H's powerpaks (not to mention the rest of their junk), but mainly two thumbs up shit on the Dyna 2000 stuff. Also, from Joey, that's the second time I've heard about buying it and using the 4000 pickup....what's the scoop with that?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hoping to pick a Dyna 2000 up used myself, as I cannot afford the CAN$600...

By trigger do you guys mean signal generator, on the right side of the bike - off the crank?

Mark

·
Registered
61 Posts
Dyna 2000 is easier to adjust, when doing changes in advancing curve or rev. limiter. Of course in daily driving there are no reasons to do that - but for example, when going for track days or strip driving it´s fun to test if it helps (even in inside your head). Also I have heard about the problems in V&H about condensation - never heard about them in Dyna. You can wash it with pressure and no problems will be caused. The only bad thing I have found from dyna are the non-standard toy-a-like wires and clips in them. In my oppinion should be replaced with new ones in the first installation.

LEQ
GSX12RR
GSXR1100 ´91, 26/30 Pro Head, Wiseco 1186, RS40, V&H Pro Mod cams, V&H SS2R... beauty and the beast.

·
Registered
398 Posts
the 4000 pickup is part of the Pro4000 set-up and is a very nicely machined piece. Its reallt cool lookin..tough..oh, and is adjustable for dialing in the bike. ding ding!! Also shuts off the engine when the bike isnt running, saves from battery drain and coil heating that plauges older GSXRs. Hope it helps..

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Damn, why is every always bashing V&H. I've used V&H products on several of my bikes, and I've never had a problem. Maybe it's just me. There was a time when V&H was one of the hottest exhaust maker around.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have had both the dyna 2000 and the V&H powerpak. The V&H did not work on my 9R but on my 92 gsxr1100 it did. It was on the bike when I brought it and did'nt know it until the dyna was installed so I never use the drag race settings. The dyna 2000 does come with an ignition plate. I perfer the dyna because of the setting and the fact that it automacally retards the timing when the nos is used it also has a rev limiter. I hope this helps I can't remember everything it does.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I guess no body can say anything bad about the exhausts or the tuning parts V&H, they used to produce (Cam Shafts etc.). It is just quite a well known fact, that in their ignition systems there has been more problems than in Dyna´s. I guess this should be more a like in the Forum for discussion about producers & distributers... I do love the exhausts of V&H - beats Yoshi and Acra easily.

LEQ

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I know most people on this board don't like V&H, but it's nice to hear a positive comment once in a while. I mean come on they don't manufacture harley's, so they're not completely worthless.

·
Registered
39 Posts
While we're on the subject, what's the best ignition advancer to buy for my 88 750? By the way, The V&H Supersport exhaust sucks.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Ok, now that we have heard about the good things and bad things with these two pieces. What does the damn thing actually do, and please put it in terms as if I were a 3 year old, I am new to putting in work on all of the bikes components. I have thought about putting one on my 93, but have yet to find out any info. I know that it advances the ignition, but what are the exact details

Thanks if you can give me some insight on this

1 - 17 of 17 Posts