Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Y'all. I just upgraded from my '01 Gix 750 Racebike to an '04 and I will be running the BIG Dunlop slicks... What's the hot setup? I'm running an Ohlins triple clicker rear and stock forks (redone by Dan Kyle with Ohlins). I dropped the front end 2mm and haven't touched the rear ride height yet... I took the bike for my first ride today at the track and it was TWITCHY and very unstable. I've obviously gone too far...
Before I start experimenting (I've got to race on Sunday) I'd like to hear your feedback on ride height setup if ya would...
Thanks!
Kato

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
maybe ask dan kyle about what he should recommend
i dont know if any of us here race a 750cc

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I was told the 04 likes to be pretty flat. Dropping the front ( or raising the reat ) make it more unstable. Several teams have told me the end up running the stock offset on the tripples as well. ( or a -1 at most )

Mine handeled well with stock geometry running modified stock forks and Penske shock.

the 01-03 like to be "longer" ( moving the rear axel farther back in the swingarm helped cornering. ) I have my 04 set up the same way but have not tried to shorten the chain yet to push it forward. It felt GREAT the way it was and I am also running the new Dunlop slicks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of your feedback, guys. I'm going to bring the front back up that 2mm and drop the rear down a few mm to compensate for the extra ride height from the big rear tires... I'm just hoping to get this thing to be stable enough that I can run some decent times this weekend! At this point, I'm nowhere near confident out there, but I've got a few days to play around out there.

Dustin-Cya this weekend... Don't be taking my spot again this month or I'll have to thrash ya!

I'll definitely be checking out Jason's and John's '04's... I need to get this thing figured out quickly!

Jamie-hope to see you out there too! Come on out!!!!

I must say that this '04 feels so diminutive compared to my '01! I love the '01 so hopefully I'll learn to love this one even more. So far I can tell that it is an amazing bike, I just have to uncover its goodness....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the record, I did some research and it turns out that the overall diameter difference on the bigger tires is 13mm!!!
The rear ride height effectively is raised 6-7mm just with the tire setup... I dropped the rear down 5mm and raised the front forks back up the 2mm (putting them back at stock settings). I'm hoping that the bike feels totally different now!
Hopefully this will help somebody out in the future...
Kato

·
Registered
9,968 Posts
i thought he was talking about 1k's.

The 04 does like a flatter swingarm angle than the 00-03 750's

the hot setup for the big dunlop tire is raising the front 10mm, ymmv

1 - 14 of 14 Posts