Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone fabricated a "dummy" petrol tank for their race bike?
I have seen examples of small metal tanks with a dummy fibreglass "cover" the shape of the std tank over that. I have seen a few examples on the web here and there but not much explanation or info to go along with it...

·
Registered
387 Posts
Catalyst composites makes nice fiberglass tank shells, then u just need to TIG up a tank with probably two ports one for the return line, external fuel pump/filter/regulator and done deal. Works great for drag racing, seems like for circuits you would want a fiberglass/carbon fiber or aluminum full tank with foam instead of just the shell. That way u save weight and don't lose fuel capacity, and u can keep the stock pump.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,126 Posts
Kinda pointless. You aren't going to save a whole lot of weight except in your wallet and if it's for the SRAD, you're better off putting that money towards a newer, more competitive bike. I had a 600 SRAD race bike with full Öhlins suspension and a 750 engine - I upgraded to a K7 600 and even bone stock I cut my lap times by a couple of seconds over the SRAD immediately.

What does make sense is a fiberglass shell that goes over the stock tank to protect it in a crash along with safety foam in the tank itself.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
txs SVS, valuable info.... good idea about the tank cover! can you please explain the safety foam in tank? I'm new to road racing(from mx background)

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
The safety foam keeps the fuel from sloshing around in the tank.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
txs Anthony, I had that idea, thought the foam was in some way adding to "safety"...
So its more for handling...

·
Mesonychoteuthis hamitoni
1,981 Posts
No. Sloshing around is also safety. Also keeps it from gushing out of any tiny little hole from a crash. I've looked at some race series rules (I don't even recall if MX/Enduro/SM/Road race/etc) that required safety foam so all the gas can't dump out in a rupture. The foam slowly releases fuel like water dripping from a sponge, so the engine gets what it needs but it will not dump out even if the cap is ripped off and the tank turned upside down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
geoffro1
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing