Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'99gixxer750
OK, so last night my buddy and I were riding through Sunset and another buddy was my passenger (on the way back). On the way back to meet some people, I stalled my bike off the light, then I stalled it again, and again...by the 3rd or 4th time I came to start it, it wouldn't start. It sounded like it wanted to but wouldn't. I thought it's flooded, but it still wouldnt start after trying many times...so now i'm thinking it might be the spark plugs. What is wrong with my bike...can anyone HELP.
If you're wondering how I got home...well I got towed at 4:00am. AAA lags like hell for bikes, cuz they have to look for a flatbed. My tow guy was cool as hell though...I ended up buying him a drink.

·
Sexy Irish Man God
20,879 Posts
Might be something simple as bad gas or a pinched fuel line. Lift your tank and make sure the hoses are all in good order. Go out and get some fresh gas and try that.

When was the last time you got new plugs?

jontflesh

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#6A7FB8" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#2f2f4f">Originally posted by Jon T. Flesh:
Might be something simple as bad gas or a pinched fuel line. Lift your tank and make sure the hoses are all in good order. Go out and get some fresh gas and try that.

When was the last time you got new plugs?

jontflesh
</td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks for the response
. I only had the bike for a month now (I bought it from some dude) so I really dont know when the plugs were last changed. The fuel is about a week old, and its been riding fine with it. Can it be flooded...if so how can I fix that? What do ya think the possibilities are?

·
Sexy Irish Man God
20,879 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#6A7FB8" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#2f2f4f">Originally posted by WikedGixxer:

Thanks for the response
. I only had the bike for a month now (I bought it from some dude) so I really dont know when the plugs were last changed. The fuel is about a week old, and its been riding fine with it. Can it be flooded...if so how can I fix that? What do ya think the possibilities are?
</td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>It could really be a number of things.
Bad gas, clogged injectors, bad map ect. ect.

Start simple. If it was flooded an overnight sit would have fixed the problem easily. Have you tried to start it today? If so what is it doing? You sure there is still gas in the tank?

jontflesh

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I havent tried starting it yet today (cuz i'm at work now). But when I was trying to start it last night it would sound like it wants to start but kinda sounded flooded. The weird part though (which makes me think its not flooded) is that when i'd start it with some throttle it would sound more like it would start. Do you think its the plugs? If one plug is shot will it prevent the bike from starting? Thanks for the help bro

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#6A7FB8" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#2f2f4f">Originally posted by Steve Ford:
My friends bike did the same thing. His was a 99 750 gixxer and it ended up being the fuel pump.</td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>This is a good idea to look for... Also, when the bike started back up, how did it run? Good or like crap?

It is VERY rare that your bike would flood as it is a FI bike... the computer stops sending fuel as soon as the motor stops running... Not like a carbed bike, it would keep taking gas as long as the valves open and suck air.

Let me know what it was like when it did start after the first few stalls, it will help.

What about when you you crank it and you siad it would try... Would it fireup and shut right off, or never fire at all?

John

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#6A7FB8" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#2f2f4f">Originally posted by GSXR-Freak:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#6A7FB8" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#2f2f4f">Originally posted by Steve Ford:
My friends bike did the same thing. His was a 99 750 gixxer and it ended up being the fuel pump.</td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>This is a good idea to look for... Also, when the bike started back up, how did it run? Good or like crap?

It is VERY rare that your bike would flood as it is a FI bike... the computer stops sending fuel as soon as the motor stops running... Not like a carbed bike, it would keep taking gas as long as the valves open and suck air.

Let me know what it was like when it did start after the first few stalls, it will help.

What about when you you crank it and you siad it would try... Would it fireup and shut right off, or never fire at all?

John
</td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>I was hoping you would read this today gsxr-freak! Well when I started the bike back up it started fine but it was within seconds that I stalled again. I stalled it 3 times in like less than 10 seconds. But it did start fine. When I tried to start it the 4th time it wouldnt start. The engine would 'turn over' and it sounded like it kinda wanted to start but wouldnt. when I would give it some throttle it sounded like it wanted to start even more. It never started though. I thought it was flooded cuz thats what it sounded like, but I guess it's not. Everytime I turn the ignition on I can hear the pump working (maybe not properly though). So I dont know what the hell is wrong with it. Should I bother changing the plugs? What do you think the problem is gsxr-freak? Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
This is going to sounds WAY out there, but it happend to me. Do you have the stock CCT?

With my Auto CCT (even the recall replacement one), the chain would jupm a tooth and not start...
That COULD be it.

Also, I fyou are able to, you can take the airbox off and stick a finger into one of your TBs, and feel for gas comming out of the ingectors.. if you not getting gass that would be a big problem..

Let me know if you can bring it up to my house, I would be willing to help.

John

·
Sexy Irish Man God
20,879 Posts
Hmmm GSXR Freak is more of a wrencher and will have some more opinions.
But... When you get home try and start it up. It might just fire right away. I am pretty sure that if one plug was bad the bike would run....shitty but still run. Not sure though.
You will get more answers throughout the weekend and beging of the week for sure.

jontflesh

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by GSXR-Freak:
This is going to sounds WAY out there, but it happend to me. Do you have the stock CCT?

With my Auto CCT (even the recall replacement one), the chain would jupm a tooth and not start...
That COULD be it.

Also, I fyou are able to, you can take the airbox off and stick a finger into one of your TBs, and feel for gas comming out of the ingectors.. if you not getting gass that would be a big problem..

Let me know if you can bring it up to my house, I would be willing to help.

John
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You are the coolest dude man!!!! About takin it to your house I will let you know cuz I gotta finda a truck or get a buddies trailer, I hope I can. Well I tried to start it today and it wouldn't start...almost though. The more I turn the thottle, the more it wants to fire. What do ya think about the plugs? And what is a CCT BTW? Thanks a lot for all.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Gixxerfrk may be right on. I know for a fact that a slack cam chain will make the bike harder to start. you are also throwing away hp and more importantly GAS MILAGE. And a chain that is one tooth off, will not start.. just like gixxerfrk said.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
CCT is Cam Chain Tensioner. The auto ones (stock on the bike) are crap. My bike burned up 3 of them in no time. and I have a friend that burned two of them.. I know MANY other people here on gixxer.com that have had problems... Not worth the motor if you ask me. They run about 50 bucks for a manual cct. Takes a bit over an hour to put in (when done correct).

If you are off one tooth then your bike might not start. Yes it could be the plugs, but if it happend all of the suden liek that, I would not think plugs. It never hurts to look at them though...

John

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey guys, does it only stall when you try to pull away (ie. release the clutch lever)? Sometimes when the side stand kill switch screws up the effect can be the same- immediate stall irregardless of revs/clutch action. Can't explain the difficult starting unless it's unrelated. Just a thought, good luck.

Gary

[ 04-08-2002, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: fastbike34 ]

·
Registered
35 Posts
want to rule out the fuel pump? pop the tank lid turn the switch and listen into the tank if it sounds like a water hose fulling a bucket of water (you know splacing sounds) then the line has come off inside the tank if not that will rule it out. it haoppened to mine just out of the blue. which i guess is the only way it would happen.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I am guessing that I might have an auto CCT cuz I never noticed the "pinging" sounds that the manual ones make on the right side of the motor. If the chain jumped a tooth will this cause the bike to not fire up at all...or can it still start? How can I check if it jumped a tooth? I guess I will next see if the TB's are getting any fuel...as gsxr-freak suggested. I also heard something about there being air in the FI...does this sound accurate? I appreciate everyones help! Thanks Guys!

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
if you are off a tooth then the bike will fire and stall out... Without starting... It is like as soon as you hear the bike start to run you hit the kill swtich.

If you have air in the lines, then it would work its way out really fast,,, I doubt this is the problem.

If you have a manual cct you wont hear a ticking...

Do you have a truck or trailer? If so lets setup a time and have you bring it up to my house... We can check it out... Get it runing..
I know how it feels...

To check if the chain jumped, you need to take the right side body work off, remove the crank bolt cover, the TDC marker, and then set the motor to TDC. lift the tank, remove air box, loosen the TBs, and move them as far back as you can. Remove the valve covers, then check your chain. If everything is correct, you EX cam will show 3 numbers and arrows. The #1 and #3 will be level with the top of the head, and then to check the intake cam, you count 15 pins back from the pin that is lined up with the #2 arrow on the EX cam. The 15th pin back should be the #3 arrow of the IN cam.

It is a lot of work and is easy to make a mistake on. I would be willing to help you out.

John

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey gsxr-freak! I am still looking for a truck. My buddy can't get the trailer untill next week (maybe longer). I might just end up renting a truck from UHAUL. On what days and times can you meet me? I work on the weekends untill 5pm. I also go to school on tues, thurs, and Fri until 4pm. I am available pretty much at any other times. I am usually completely available on Mondays and Wednesdays. When can you meet? Let me know so I can try to work around your schedule. Thanks Bro!

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Monday night should be good for me.... Do you have tools there? If so then I might be able to swing by your place so you dont have rent a truck... then if we cant get it to work at your place, we can bring it to mine somehow...
Does that work for you?

John

1 - 20 of 23 Posts